The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help Needed Asap Guys

mikeyb10supra

My car is at toyoat as we speak being serviced......

just had a call telling me whats up and I almpost fell of my chair at work when they told me how much it will all cost

Is this rediculous or are they for real??

Any help would be great here as I need to make quick decisions and get back to the garage with my answers....

New Front Shock is leaking......to change im looking at £300

Spark plugs need changing £200

Cam belt should be changed.......£350 (ok I will get this done but at another garage I think)

Anti freeze needs changing.....£250 to drain and change

The list goes on......now I dont know whether its me but this is a joke

I know a guy who could do this work for me at half the price but took it to Toyota for the history

Are any of these things realistic prices??

Thanks a lot chaps and chapess'es

Can't comment.

£60 - £70 for parts (and that's if you have the expensive platinum ones that last for 63000 miles). £130 for labour? I don't think so!

Cam belt should be changed.......£350 (ok I will get this done but at another garage I think)

£200 is is a good price for this. I have a reciept from a Toyota deaker that I am happy to scan and e-mail to you if you want.

Cobblers.

It's a joke. Walk away.

Any lay-man can do those jobs....save yourself the labour and do it yourself. The front shock is the bit I'd be wary of but still I expect you could get a pair fitted for less than that...which is a point, I wouldn't replace just one shock.

Mate, thats a joke.

I recently had cambelt, front crankshaft oil seal, plugs, oil and filter, coolant changed and it cost £600 approx all in at a Toyota dealership, now thats probably a bit expensive compared to other places but I was happy with that.

It sounds like your place is trying to take the p*ss big style.

Tell them to F*ck off.

edited for spelling

Leaky shock - anyone can change them and it's not an urgent job so put that on hold, get a pair of new front shocks off someone on here and find a good indy garage to do the job.

Coolant drain and refill - easiest service job on the car, the Toyota 4Life coolant is about £50 for enough to do the job and it takes

Even the expensive plugs can be gotten for £60 a set, and that takes

Cam belt - can be a long job, try and coincide it with the coolant drain :) Don't let the idiots use a blowtorch on your pulley nut.

-Ian

Plugs change takes under an hour, and you could get NGKs for £12. So I'd say £60 tops.

Most people I've been to add £60 for a cam belt change, if it's part of a service.

Don't know about anti-freeze.

Shock changes are about £50 - £60 a corner.

lmao.

Here is what we would charge:

£150 for the cambelt labour, £32 for the belt.

£70 for the Denso Iridium plugs, £35 for fitting.

Coolant - Toyota OEM Cool red, £16, £40 to do.

Front shock - depending on type £100-£150 supply, £60 to fit.

I could have 2 weeks in the sun for the profit on the job they are quoting for!

Gaz.

Great stuff guys.......well I think my mind has been made up there.....thank you all for your comments....most valuble

one other question seeing as they were going to charge 90quid just for plugs I might aswell order some in myself......what are the best set to get hold off??

bearing in mind my car is standard with exhaust + de-cat??

I will fit these myself

im tempted to go back to Toyota and argue out the prices after all your advice but I will probably just walk away and tell them to stick it :)

...I know a guy who could do this work for me at half the price but took it to Toyota for the history...

What history, how old is the car mate?...

My local Toyota dealer wants £1.50 for a single sump plug washer

Would I ever trust these jokers with my car? What do you think? :p

What history, how old is the car mate?...

My local Toyota dealer wants £1.50 for a single sump plug washer

Would I ever trust these jokers with my car? What do you think? :p

Hmmm I tend to agree now mate......spose a toyota history dont mean shit really does it......it will probably de-value the car even more with the history he he ;)

I keep my own history instead. Get a little diary or notebook and write in EVERYTHING that you do to the car, how much it was and where and when etc.!

It'll at least get you some credit with the next owner, especially if you put the bad things in as well!

Thats not a bad idea that :D

Any idea on these plugs.......not sure which ones I need to order ie part numbers etc

just searched previous threads but could'nt find an answer :complain:

My car is a TT with exhaust just wondered which plugs are the best to get seeing as Toyota wanted to rape me for £90 for new ones

I use NGK BCPR7ES, about £1.50 each but are more for a BPU car. You'd probably need grade 8 plugs (not sure of the number).

They need changing every 4000 miles or so as well so if you don't want to do that you could just get Iridium plugs I think they're IK22?

Plugs change takes under an hour, and you could get NGKs for £12. So I'd say £60 tops.

Most people I've been to add £60 for a cam belt change, if it's part of a service.

Couple of points: A cam belt change is not part of a standard service for a Supra. It gets replaced at 63000 miles and is a stand-alone job costing about £200.

You need to find out if you have platinum plugs or not. A set of platinum plugs costs £60 to £70 on their own. The standard plugs are cheaper but have to be replaced more freuqently (18000miles as opposed to 63000miles).

Incidentally, ask them what they would charge for a 36000mile service. The price shoud include the parts and labour for both the cooalnt change and the spark plug change, and I'm buggered if I paid over £400 for mine! :)

Couple of points: A cam belt change is not part of a standard service for a Supra. It gets replaced at 63000 miles and is a stand-alone job costing about £200.

That's odd. Harrington Autos in Farlington said a service is £160, and an extra £60 if they do a cam belt change.

Can't comment.

£60 - £70 for parts (and that's if you have the expensive platinum ones that last for 63000 miles). £130 for labour? I don't think so!

£200 is is a good price for this. I have a reciept from a Toyota deaker that I am happy to scan and e-mail to you if you want.

Cobblers.

It's a joke. Walk away.

leave my cobblers out of this ? oh and yer yes they are taking the piss, they think you have more money than sense cuz of the car.....