The mkiv Supra Owners Club

my new suspension (and RLTC)

roboldham

Hi folks

I picked my motor up week before last after its winter rejuvenation so I thought I would share my thoughts.

Was off the road @ JPS for a while for new suspension (Tein Flex + EDFC), Racelogic TC plus a few other cosmetics (minor respray, mirror, headlights, all Toyota original, no aftermarket, well apart from replacement Z1s since I mangled two last year)

I have been driving the car around for a week now and I have been getting used to the Teins and starting to experiment with the RLTC.

I am normally dead against TC but took advice to have it fitted and I must say it really is the dogs danglies - it seems to slot right into driving (whatever style) rather than getting in the way like stock TC used to - and is just there tweaking in the background and seems to compliment your drive magically - in reality I guess this just the fact that it isn't a silly slap-on-the-wrist overkill like stock TC, but a progressive programmed affair, but still.... it is impressive.

Anyway - the BIG thing that has me totally GOBSMACKED - and I am not exagerating here - is the Teins.

Knocked down to a hard setting - even fully hard (!) - they have totally and utterly transformed the handing.

I was expecting a noticable improvement, but bugger me, this car has gone from an impressive if slightly lardy feeling GT power diety to a spitting and bucking but razor sharp godzilla of an animal.

I can't get my head around the incredible precision such a relatively large car can exhibit and the subtlety of positioning and dynamics of the STANDARD chassis that the new suspension has unmasked. It's like wiping a thick layer of grease off some bodywork, revealing the deep sparkling shine underneath.

The feedback you get and the lateral grip (not TC situation) and the way that on bumpy roads at a rapid rate the bounce just happens at exactly the right moment to keep the car feeling superbly flighty and right "in the zone" in terms of control is truly a thing of beauty.

And on long fast sweeping duallys - I will repeat - bugger me....

Whereas before the car would be wallowing and squirming at around 115 leptons on a few choice bends, it is now just THERE at 130+ and ready to take more - only I haven't yet got the cojones to explore that bit of the envelope.

The car is now better than me - and I have not felt this way since I have ridden bikes on a track - and never before on 4 wheels.

After a test run on the way home tonight I pulled up before I got home and contemplated the machinery I was surrounded by - I was a little overcome and I am not ashamed to admit that I had a tear well up - believe it or not.

Some people may call this strange (I know my missus would!) - but it happened, and I loved it.

R

This is something I hope to experience soon, its just so damn hard trying to decide on equipment when budget is so limited for me at the moment. I assume you get what you pay for but I dont want to get something that I am then very disappointed when it doesn't do x,y,z further on down the line. Then again, if I am left drooling at the sight of my caar when it has just made me feel like a superstar driver then it will all be worth it...

Hi Rob,

I take it your impressed with the Teins then.

The best upgrade ive done for the money is fitting TRD antiroll bars, that really stopped my car wallowing around and sharpened up the steering, ive been trying to sell my tein flex kit but think i'll be fitting it now, dont suppose you have any set up info for the teins ?

Regards

Dnk

Hi Rob,

I take it your impressed with the Teins then.

The best upgrade ive done for the money is fitting TRD antiroll bars, that really stopped my car wallowing around and sharpened up the steering, ive been trying to sell my tein flex kit but think i'll be fitting it now, dont suppose you have any set up info for the teins ?

Regards

Dnk

What info do you need? Leon did the fitting and setup for me but I have been playing with the various box settings of the EDFC.

R

What info do you need? Leon did the fitting and setup for me but I have been playing with the various box settings of the EDFC.

R

I havent got the EDFC with mine, that just lets you adjust the damping in the car if im not wrong ? The damper adjustment is easy enough (yellow arrow) as its just so many clicks clock or anti clock, also setting the ride height or shock length is no prob by using locking ring (pink arrow)

What im after is the spring pre load front and rear , ie how long to set the spring to using the 2 locking rings which in turn pre loads the spring, distance between the 2 blue arrows.

Hope that made sence.

Ta

Dnk

DSCF0001.JPG