The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Super streets my arse.

tbourner

New Super streets fitted on Saturday, can't afford it but my old shocks were BAD!!!

Just been to Portsmouth, it's been raining and my tyres are crap as I'm waiting for my new wheels.

Top of Eastern road where the roundabout is, me about to head east.

There's a left before it goes right and under the bridge. All the lights were green and there was no traffic other than a silver Supra that had come up behind me on Eastern road and not got out of my boot the whole way!! I refused to race because my car's narked at the moment anyway!! (rubbish tyres and alloys and buggered front).

I've taken that corner, with my current (rubbish) set up, and my TOTALLY buggered rear shocks, literally HUNDREDS of times, at various speeds, and never had so much as a twitch.

This time, going left my rear end came loose, I did all the correcting that I'm normally pretty good at, but this time it just flipped the other way without warning, spun 270 degrees and reversed itself onto the roundabout!!!!

My rear spat thingy came off the offside and the nearside one's a bit scratched, easy enough to fix. And my exhaust ate a 6" diameter clump of mud, so it didn't start very well at first!!

I am blaming the Super Streets 100% though, it's softer over bumps since fitting them, less bouncy on the motorway, and feels tighter, but the steering wheel shakes now over 70 (could be wheel alignment or something) and it did feel twitchy when I first drove it. NEVER had it go that quickly with that little warning before though.

Doesn't sound good at all mate :(

It seems like your alignment might be all over the place though, in your accident did any of the wheels hit curbs or anything? Have you had a FULL (i.e. camber, etc) laser alignment check done since the damage was repaired?

:( Sorry to hear this

Trevor - your whole system will be off after the first smack you had prior to this event - a new suspension system is not enough - you really must get a full laser alignment - that's why the shuddering will be there

- until then take it easy!

Dont even think of trying to push the car with crap tyres and new suspension until this is sorted

Gutted! You've had 2 little knocks then lately? Sounds like it could have been worse though.

Did the other Supe stop to help? I should hope so if they were tailgating you.

Did you spin when you came from under the bridge? (dry to wet) I suppose if your tyres had bad tread it wouldn't help, especially if you're going round the corner as well.

Good luck getting it sorted mate.

Dude, it was Paul who fitted them (K not E) and they didn't drive it.

I wasn't pushing it at all, I've been round there loads of times since the first accident and it's been fine, I wasn't going that fast at all it just went!!

The other Supra I think was planning on going straight across, but went up to the left instead, then as I was checking over the car he came down the sliproad on the other side (must've turned round) and went off towards Farlington. Completely avoided me which was nice!! :twak:

I stayed out didn't quite get under the bridge, so it was all wet. Obviously everything needs checking, it would've been done when I got the new wheels. I've been driving slower than I did on the old shocks (you need to see them to see just how bad they were!!) because I'm not used to the way it handles yet, but this was silly!!

I thought that at first, I'm still shocked at how stupid the whole thing was! I corrected a nasty fishtail after having the car for about 2 weeks!! In the rain with buggered shocks (They reckoned my shocks have been gone for at least a year with the state of them)!! It was easy the car's always been really communicative before.

No details except it was silver and had no bodykit that I could see. Had a loud exhaust though!! Couldn't see the plate it was too close!!! :eek:

My exhaust is rattling now as well, like it's hitting something over bumps. What bit's likely to go when pushed from behind? It's bent to the left (looking from behind) about an inch. Is that cat back or de-cats or downpipe or what?

Annoying bit is I may have to sell now. With 30k of debt that I'm trying to pay off, and lots of other personal things happening that are gonna be costing me! I can't afford to keep paying out for the car. Doubt I'd be able to claim anything from inurance even if it is found to be out on alignment etc.

No test drive after fitting new shocks? :eek:

The one and only time the tuners I use have let me take my car without doing a test drive first (after working on my car) it could have cost me my life/car (details [thread=7550]HERE[/thread])

I'd always insist that a garage do a test drive to check everything is okay first. You really shouldn't need to though, as it should be standard practise for any garage.

Isn't the other car legally obliged to stop if it's involved? I suppose the fact it was up your 'behind' involves it somewhere along the line.

Are you saying he went onto the motorway after you's slid off, then came back to check the damage out?

Sorry to hear you might have to sell. If you've got big debt though, having a Supra isn't going to help, it's just going to dig you deeper!

Guest Terry S
:( Sorry to hear this

Trevor - your whole system will be off after the first smack you had prior to this event - a new suspension system is not enough - you really must get a full laser alignment - that's why the shuddering will be there

- until then take it easy!

Dont even think of trying to push the car with crap tyres and new suspension until this is sorted

Paul, maybe it would have been prudent to tell him this before the incident

You are absolutely right Terry (and it may well have been!) - and we will make sure that this advice is posted up for everyone to view from now on

Unfortunately (perhaps wrongly) we sometimes assume people will understand that a front smack, bald tires and rain make a lethal combination with the rear wheel drive Supra

Many people have lost the back end in better circs

However point has been noted

Guest slow dog

i am sorry to hear that you crashed your car again.

the car was tested by your self as we all all heard you racing up and down the round and round the roundabout at silly speeds so to be honest mate i am not suprised you lost the car maybe you should get the alignment sorted out first like you was told when fitted before you try and break the land speed record around courners.

you have to rear shocks that are here at the work shop that are leaking fluid

and springs all round that are held together with rust.

and you say you had better cournering with them on.

do your self a favour buddy slow down

you have to rear shocks that are here at the work shop that are leaking fluid

and springs all round that are held together with rust.

and you say you had better cournering with them on.

do your self a favour buddy slow down

Hey fuck you you have no idea how I drive, you didn't even come with me when I drove it to the cashpoint ask the guy who did (don't know his name sorry) I drive VERY slowly at all times, never break the speed limits below national, and never take it fast round corners. Stop making assumptions based on 1 drive in a private industrial estate after fitting new shocks and you telling me to go and test them out.

And yes if you must know it was much more communicative with the old shocks on, it probably didn't handle better but I haven't been any quicker with these ones on yet so I don't know if they're better or not, I assume they will be when it's all sorted.

Set the record straight I've never been told anything about alignment being out, didn't even know what it was!! I'll go to Micheldever and get it done though (can be up to £220). My tyres aren't bald they're brand new - they're just cheap because I'm not loaded. I had to fit tyres on differen't wheels because one of mine was buckled. I know how bad rain can be with the car but believe it or not I'm a reasonably good driver and as I said have never had a problem before these springs went on.

I wasn't the one blaming Miami-GT anyway, I don't think any of this would've happened if the knobber hadn't pulled out on me in January. But now I'm being accused of dangerous driving by someone who's met me once I'm beggining to change my views. Twat.

Guest slow dog

yes i have meet you once and yes i saw you drive up and down flat out up my road and yes you was told about the alingment and please come round if you wish and i will put your old shocks and springs back on as you think your car will be much better with them on.

i will also do this for free.

but one thing i will not put up with is play ground name calling you know my number you know were the workshop is if you have a problem ring me or come round dont be silly and start name calling over the board i am sure people dont wanna see you calling other people names on here

:thanks:

Oooo,

Toight like a Toiga...

Dude I would seriously take it easy.... If you are unsure about your suspension setup and the car has not felt the same since the accident I would seriously have it checked up...

You may have been used to the old / shagged shocks and springs...

Get it all sorted out at a place with lazers and be happy again. It also sounds like the balancing of your font wheels is way off and that can actually make the front of the car VERY unstable at speed...

The boys at GT simply fitted the new suspension like you asked......

Be carefull!

:respekt:

On a suspension note.....

I usually get mine checked every 6 months, just to be sure, and especially after any incident... These cars aren't small cheap cars, they are exotic sport cars (when they were released), while they might only cost around the 10k mark now, they were 45k (I believe) when released.. and as such things need to be right on them...(well that said, this is true on any car)

Suspension and geometry is one of the most important things on the car and is the key to how the car handles in sticky situations..

Have your alignment checked, and then see how the car feels after that, you might be pleasantly suprised..

And without trying to sound snotty, get some good rubber on it.... I've made that mistake in the past, I put some cheapy rubber on my peugeot 106 rallye 1.6, purely because the set I wanted was going to take 6 weeks to order... in that time I spun the car 3 times, slid round every roundabout going due to lack of proper grip and finally put it underneath a jeep.... yes I was driving a little silly I won't deny that... but because I was trying to save some money, it ended up costing my no claims bonus and a £2k repair bill for what was a mint little car..

You live and learn I suppose...

I know and as I said I'm not blaming Miami-GT, they did good and I'd go there again they're a good bunch.

I'm sorry for the name calling but it felt like you were one of the old women where I live who give me evil looks just because I'm driving past them!!! You cannot say your post didn't imply that my driving was at fault?

I am 100% certain that I was at a perfectly safe speed, there was no need for it to slide let alone whip round the other way and wipeout.

Maybe I should've had everything checked as soon as the first bump happened, I didn't know I needed to or how important it was, I at least thought fitting new suspension would be better and not worse though.

Right, so, I'll arrange to get the car looked at, appologies for the name calling I didn't mean it you just said something that upset me on a very bad day!! I won't edit it though it's a tribute to how FUCKED OFF I am with everything at the moment!!

I'm still looking for someone to blame. My fault? Someone with more knowledge may not have crashed or may have had the car checked out earlier. The Teins? Probably not maybe they just sharpened up a car that was happy being saggy!! The bloke behind me? Well as I wasn't racing him I'd say not, but it would've been nice for him to stop and see if I was alright!! Miami-GT? Can't see how they just did what I asked basically. The twat who crashed into me in January? Yes, but theres bugger all I can do about that now is there!!

I've gotta stop doing these long replies as well. :p

For 4Wheel Laser alignment I can thoroughly recommend the Alignment Center in Wembley. Not the closest to you, however Highly recommended and worth the travel.

Speak to Alan or Terry. You can tell him that I sent you...imi - honda prelude owner and now Black Sup TT. :)

The Alignment Centre ----

Unit 7 Sheraton Business Centre,

Wadsworth Close,Wadsworth Rd,

Greenford, Middlesex

UB6 7JD

Tel: 020 8998 7486

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Trevor :(

Are these Tein Superstreets you've had fitted? If so, have you gone a bit lower than your last suspension setup? This will require a full 4-wheel alignment as has been pointed out and possibly some kind of camber correction (bolts etc) if they can't get the camber back within factory tolerances with the factory adjustment. The other thing is, what adjustability is there with the Superstreet setup? Perhaps the damping can be adjusted stiffer if you thought they were too soft. Don't know how adjustable they are though as I know they're the starter fast road coilover from Tein and don't have a million adjustments like some of their other setups.

I can understand why you're angry at Paul K as his post was a bit in your face but to be honest I don't think Paul K comes across very well in text sometimes and he didn't mean his post to be insulting. Maybe both of you can get in touch privately and sort things out?

Cheers,

Brian.

And without trying to sound snotty, get some good rubber on it....

Yeah like I said I'm getting new alloys as one of mine was buckled slightly, so will be getting GSD3s all round next month, wasn't going to pay an extra £200 for 1 months driving!!

And again like I said I'm taking it gently with these wheels / tyres and the body work damage, hence I didn't race the Supra behind me (which is really frustrating!!).