The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra UK TT with 100k+ miles,,question

koolance

hey

found this on autotrader

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/CARS_popup.asp?modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&make=TOYOTA&model=SUPRA&variant=&keywords=&min_pr=75&max_pr=8000&mileage=&agerange=&postcode=ml10+6qu&miles=200&max_records=200&source=0&photo=1&sort=5&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH&start=2&distance=157&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200514188870072

would u think that car is too cheap for being a uk car?? or does the mileage justify the price?

also i am thinking about going to see this car,,, should the high miles make me stay clear of it ??

thanks

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a good price, the mileage isn't neccessarily a problem assuming it's got history and invoices to back it up, which I suspect it won't have. Additionally, it's got non standard alloys which don't look they cost much which makes you wonder why the statndard ones werre replaced.

I live in Bradford which is where this car is for sale so could possibly have a look at it which is the only way to know what it's like.

It does seem pretty damn cheap to be honest mate. I've seen several with that sort of mileage and they are all in the region of £8,000. From what I've read the engines can easily take that sort of mileage providing they've been properly maintained. If you have the day free then the only thing your going to loss out on is fuel-so you may as well have a look. The chances are you won't buy the first one you see!

You really need to take it for a drive over 4K rpm and see if both turbos work.

Also do a compression test and see if the cylinders are within spec.

You don't want to buy a dog and spend thousands upon thousands trying to put it right. Even the wrong kind of oil in the autobox or LSD can lead to big bills, so proper service history is essential (the main reason you want a UK car, right?)

so proper service history is essential (the main reason you want a UK car, right?)

Maybe he loves the horns?

Perhaps he wants to keep himself warm with the lovely toasty seats?

Or maybe he wants to check the temp outside?

Plenty of reasons to buy a UK ;)

Maybe he loves the horns?

Perhaps he wants to keep himself warm with the lovely toasty seats?

Or maybe he wants to check the temp outside?

Plenty of reasons to buy a UK ;)

maybe he likes his rear diff to be cooler.

or his injectors to be bigger

or his inlet cam a bit more generous

or his fuel pump a bit heftier

or his turbines not to be glued to the shafts

or his brakes to be bigger

or his insurance to be lower

blah blah.... :tongue:

Additionally, it's got non standard alloys which don't look they cost much which makes you wonder why the statndard ones werre replaced.

I was just going to say that the alloys look very nice, which they do! :p

A heck of a lot nicer than most of these more expensive ones I've seen, why spend money on expensive wheels if they look sh*te!

I'm rather new here, but I have already picked up a vibe about the "UK vs Jap" battle

It's all in good faith of course, the whole point behind internet forums is to exchange info and have fun.

Both specs have their ups and downs, I admit to finding the 'horns' ridiculous, and would like a targa or VVTi UK option, but there you have it.

(back to my front leather seats now, lol...)

You really need to take it for a drive over 4K rpm and see if both turbos work.

Also do a compression test and see if the cylinders are within spec.

You don't want to buy a dog and spend thousands upon thousands trying to put it right. Even the wrong kind of oil in the autobox or LSD can lead to big bills, so proper service history is essential (the main reason you want a UK car, right?)

LSD's not to fragile dude and it has NO clutches so no need for mega expensive oil !!!

Dude :cool:

I admit to finding the 'horns' ridiculous, and would like a targa or VVTi UK option, but there you have it.
There was a time on this forum when people would moan like fuck if you referred to the Aerotop as a Targa. I've noticed that it gets called that a lot lately and nobody says owt.

errrr.... I don't have a point really - just thinking out loud.

You're right for wanting a VVTi though, it's waaay superior to the non-VVTi engine (UK or J-spec)

The only use the horns have is for getting pedestrians wet

:eyebrows:

Quite a sweeping statement this one.

I see things differently mate, see if you can follow:

1. the car is already fitted with a pump, nozzle and hose, connected to a large water bottle.

2. the nozzle is seriously close to an intercooler core that under certain conditions can get really hot.

Do you catch my drift? :cool:

... You're right for wanting a VVTi though, it's waaay superior to the non-VVTi engine (UK or J-spec)

Well I've driven a good example of VVTi some time back (in the JIC compound, while they were still trading...) and it didn't really feel much different to non-VVTi.

I didn't sense masses of extra torque down low (don't know about top end, couldn't push it within that test drive)

Well I've driven a good example of VVTi some time back (in the JIC compound, while they were still trading...) and it didn't really feel much different to non-VVTi.
I currently own both a VVTi and a non-VVTi. There's a very noticeable difference in the power delivery below 4000rpm. Once both turbos are online the cars feel much the same.

Compare my stock VVTi's 4.99sec 0-60 and 2.2sec 60 foot times from Bruntingthorpe against the other much more modified cars that were there.

I think it's good evidence of the VVTis having more 'grunt'