The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sump plug adaptor

SimonB

The probe for my oil temp gauge used to live in the take-off plate for my remote oil filter, but I have now changed this when fitting my oil cooler. I was going to put it in a T connector but it sticks out too much into the oil flow so I had to abandon that idea. So what I think I will do is put it in the sump plug. Does anyone know where you can get a sump plug with a hole with a 1/8NPT thread from? I don't have the equipment to drill a hole and tap a sump plug.

Does the plug need a 1/8 NPT MALE or FEMALE thread?

Female, to take the temp probe. I'm not sure what the male thread size and type is on the sump plug itself. Does anyone know - I've just thought I might be able to get an adaptor from Think auto or somewhere if I knew the thread size.

Guest Irish Supra

Nice idea, but would it get fouled on speed bumps etc. The sump is pretty low as it is and with wiring coming off the nut it would be lower???

Nice idea, but would it get fouled on speed bumps etc. The sump is pretty low as it is and with wiring coming off the nut it would be lower???

Nah it should be OK, the plug is on the side of the sump at an angle and the probe doesn't stick out much. I've found the sump plug thread size, it's M12 x 1.25. So I need an adaptor with a M12 x 1.25 male thread to a 1/8NPT female.

I wouldn't bother with this idea..... I did the very same on my S13 track car and found the readings were useless.. barely registered on the oil temp gauge at all because the oil at the very bottom of the sump isn't hot enough. Best drilling and tapping the sump in the middle for a more accurate reading.

Cheers,

Brian.

I wouldn't bother with this idea..... I did the very same on my S13 track car and found the readings were useless.. barely registered on the oil temp gauge at all because the oil at the very bottom of the sump isn't hot enough. Best drilling and tapping the sump in the middle for a more accurate reading.

Cheers,

Brian.

have to disagree here mate, have run a sump oil temp for 2 years and it works fine it will give lower readings than straight of the gallery but everything is relative, seeing as the guy is struggling to drill a sump plug i hardly think suggesting drilling the sump is a realistic option

have to disagree here mate, have run a sump oil temp for 2 years and it works fine it will give lower readings than straight of the gallery but everything is relative, seeing as the guy is struggling to drill a sump plug i hardly think suggesting drilling the sump is a realistic option

Oi, I'm not a complete numpty, I am capable of drilling and tapping :tongue:! I just don't own a bench drill, and I'm too lazy to search out a engineering shop that does. Mind you, without a lift or pit I wouldn't fancy lying under the car tapping the sump I must admit.

I used to have the probe in the oil filter take off return, so I'm expecting the sump temp to be slightly higher than that. I think as long as you know where the reading is being taken from it shouldn't matter too much if it's sump, the line to the cooler, from the cooler or wherever.

Pretty useless readings IMO.

Oi, I'm not a complete numpty, I am capable of drilling and tapping :tongue:!

no offence intended mate, from your post i guessed you did'nt have the gear to do it so drilling the sump really is'nt an option for most people even if you have the gear, i have never had a problem with the sump readings they are about 20-30 degrees down on the oil coming straight off the block so as long as you bear this in mind there is nothing wrong with reading the sump its just different 95-100 degree sump oil temp at wot is'nt a useless reading IMHO, your other option would be to get a oil filter sandwitch plate and put the sensor in there

I have seen more than one sump plug knackered as there is so small a gap left once fitted

IMHO a much better idea is our remote filter head - that allows you to both move the filter so it is easier to reach and utilise the boss fittings for both oil temp and oil pressure

Well worth considering

• 5 years later...
Oil in all wet sump systems is in a state of constant flow and severe agitation, as such all oil is at the same temp to within a degree max. There is a total maelstrom in there, the oil in the bottom of the sump is a fine location for a temp probe.

Hi all, need some help here

Have the following oil temp probe

http://www.race-technology.com/content.php?pcat=2&cat=64

What size sump adaptor is required for this to fit?

many thanks

imi