The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre question

neilg

Sorry to keep going on about tyres but there costing alot of money and i want to make sure im buying correctly.

Is there any advantages/disadavntages of wider tyres? Would there be a difference between putting 275 or 285 on the rear?

Reason i ask is i was looking at a set of Bridgestone RE050 in 285/30/19 and 245/35/19.

However i can buy eagle f1s in 275/30/19 and 245/35/19 for £200 less.

Is it worth the extra £200? whats my pros and cons?

Also does anybody know the difference between GSD2 and GSD3 in the Goodyear Eagle F1s? Are they just the newer models?

Cheers everyone :thumbs:

For £200 less I'd definitely go with the 275 section Goodyears.

Goodyear F1s are highly rated by Supra owners and 275 is plenty wide enough.

GS-D2 and GS-D3 are both still available although you might find that the GS-D2 is not available in some sizes that the GS-D3 is. And vice versa.

I don't know what the difference between the D2 and D3 is apart from the tread pattern.

GS-D2:

http://www.genial-guenstig-shop.de/shop/Sommerreifen/Details/Goodyear%20eAGLE%20f1%20GS-D2.jpg

GS-D3:

http://www.genial-guenstig-shop.de/shop/Sommerreifen/Details/Goodyear%20eAGLE%20f1%20GS-D3.jpg

thats what i was thinking Jake, can i really justify an extra £200 for the sake of 10mm?

I just fancied trying the bridgestones on the supra. Read some really good reviews on them and its whats on the new lambos and ferraris (afaik including the enzo)

You won't notice any real difference in grip levels with a 285 tyre over a 275 width tyre if you are not sliding the car around. So if you have 245 width on the front and 275 width on the rear you will have a good lateral grip balance.

The advantage of a wider tyre is that the lateral grip does increase... something which you will only appreciate if you are into very high speed driving where both front and rear tyres are approaching lateral grip limits.... and to choose a 285 over a 275 width is a safety guard to make sure that you get understeer before you have the chance of oversteer at such high speeds.

Also as Bobbeh states they give much better rim protection if you were to come too close to a kerb.

But don't automatically think that a 285 width will prvide better allround grip... you'll probably find that a 275 width tyre will grip harder in a straight line that a 285 in the wet (of the same tyre compound).