The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project for the weekend ?

Sharpie

Do you have any work/projects on the go this weekend with the soop ?

I have started today putting in the Sparco Harness bar as I'm aiming to get on track this year.

I got the bar during winter and it got scratched on the way to me but, I didn't really like the gunmetal/silver colour options for it so, had it repainted with 202 :) I think it's going to blend right in.

Here are some progress pic's

image image image

Just fitting it loosley at the moment and am not sure if I can get away with the UK slider bar yet but, am hopeful. I might need to have the slider bar replaced with a smaller OR mod'd unit or switch to J-spec seat belts.

image image image

Then I can fit the 3" harnesses properly, well, the shoulder straps, I'll have to take it somewhere to get the lap belts fitted properly.

Liking the seats Pete. :thumbs:

Do you track your car or something? All these mods seem a little excessive for 'normal' ;) road use.

EDIT - Ah is the bar for the seatbelts?!

I hear the bar can really stiffen the aero top up , guess whos getting them made up !!!!

Dude :devil:

Liking the seats Pete. :thumbs:

Do you track your car or something? All these mods seem a little excessive for 'normal' ;) road use.

EDIT - Ah is the bar for the seatbelts?!

Cheers Bob's - yeah for the belts.

Nope, not been on the track yet, but, the UK suspension was too soft for me on normal roads round bends so, that's why I got the CW suspension. THEN I found the car would handle great but, I would slide all over the shop on the leather seats, so got the new alcantara's which, hold you so well! I feel so at one with the car now, I need to raise my game to get the best out of it. CW said he'd take me round Donnington :devil:

I never get back/arse ache anymore like the UK seats gave me. Now I'm heading for the track and the N/ring but, want a car to really enjoy the events.

Here they both are

your interior looks brand new. looks really good in cream and them seats are smart, are they lighter than stock seats?

does the bar fasten to the stock seatbelt locations, dont the rear seats have to come out to fasten belts to floor.

do the aerotops have the big triangle support bars at bottom of seats behind the front seats?

hehe I'm trying to get rid of the cream slowly but, to recover the rears that don't ever get used and I might bin them ??? is crazy IMO. A new carpet in Black from Toyota was ~£1k last time I asked so, I use black mats to hide most of it. I don't think the seats are lighter as I did not go for a lightweight, thin hard back, rally seats, I wanted good support and a cushion under my arse - weight was not a consideration. The bar does fit to the stock seat belt location and you don't need to remove anything. The harnesses fasten to the bar for the shoulder straps but, for the lap belts, I'll need someone to fit them for me. It looks like I have a couple of options = The UK spec has a second bolt hole at the rear which, the j-spec's appear not to have so, could use that ?? I might get a new fixing plate installed ?? I have not spoken to the person who will be doing this yet.

Sufferer of SSS

(Slippery Slope Syndrome)

Yep... I agree.... but such a nice result... hope I get to see your car at a meet this year, and yes I will beg for a test sit in your seats, it might just be the little push I need to buy them for mine!

Sufferer of SSS

(Slippery Slope Syndrome)

Yep... I agree.... but such a nice result... hope I get to see your car at a meet this year, and yes I will beg for a test sit in your seats, it might just be the little push I need to buy them for mine!

Your very kind sir..

You might find this thread useful as I HAD to buy them blind, well, almost http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=27902&highlight=sparco

Best of luck with the MOT :)

You've got the same setup as me, Sparco harnesses too. Mine have the lightweight shoulder strap adjusters though. The outside lap belts are easy - you just replace the seatbelt mounting bolt with an eyebolt as the mounting bolt is a standard size. You will need a longer eyebolt than the one that comes with the harnesses though. It's the inside lap belt that is the problem. The seat belt clip is attached to the seat with a nut so you can't use that. I tried to get an eyebolt the same size thread as the seat mounting bolt on the transmission tunnel but you can't get them. I ended up drilling it out and using a backing plate on the other side but it was a real PITA.

I've got full 6 points now, I don't like 4 point harnesses as the lap belt can be pulled up off your waist in an accident by the shoulder straps tigtening and cause serious injury. You should never mount shoulder straps to the floor or rear seatbelt mount points BTW, the angle is way too steep and would compress your spine in an accident. The harness bar is the way to go for sure.

Dude - there are 2 types of shoulder belts, those designed to attach to eyebolts and those designed to wrap around a roll cage or harness bar. The proper ones (like the ones in the picture) just thread around the bar like in the attachment.

Here's mine in the car:

beltlooping.jpg

Looking good Mr January :) and thanks for the tips :thumbs:

I thought I'd try the 4 point first as my seats don't support a 6 point well, not in their current setup.

I did not get any fixing kit with mine as the supplier says that Harnesses should be fitted by a pro and are not a DIY job......which, I can understand.

I need something like this for the lap belts:

239.jpg

I've got full 6 points now, I don't like 4 point harnesses as the lap belt can be pulled up off your waist in an accident by the shoulder straps tigtening and cause serious injury. You should never mount shoulder straps to the floor or rear seatbelt mount points BTW, the angle is way too steep and would compress your spine in an accident. The harness bar is the way to go for sure.

Dude - there are 2 types of shoulder belts, those designed to attach to eyebolts and those designed to wrap around a roll cage or harness bar. The proper ones (like the ones in the picture) just thread around the bar like in the attachment.

QUOTE]

Simon , so i need to buy another harness then as mine has the clip to clip onto an eyebolt , or can i use the harness bar to give me the correct angle ???

Dude :read:

My bar will look like this one

cage and harness bar 004.jpg

The lap belts on mine have a plate that clips to an eyebolt permanently attached like the pic on the left below, so I couldn't use a plate with a normal bolt attachment like in your attachment there Pete. Looks like you're better off - you should be able to use them and attach to where the seatbelt clip is bolted to the seat if you wanted to.

Dude - that looks very nice :cool: you definitely want to use the harness bar. If you have shoulder straps with the plates sewn in like my lap belts were then I think you'll need to buy some more shoulder straps. You might not have to buy a whole new harness though. I definitely wouldn't try and use eyebolts.

lapbelts.jpg

SimonB - The lap belts on mine have a plate that clips to an eyebolt permanently attached like the pic on the left below.

Pete - So you have the snap on type like the attached photo BUT, sewn in ? (Just like Fig.8) I see.

Dude - that looks very nice :cool: you definitely want to use the harness bar. If you have shoulder straps with the plates sewn in like my lap belts were then I think you'll need to buy some more shoulder straps. You might not have to buy a whole new harness though. I definitely wouldn't try and use eyebolts.

Pete - You can buy just the shoulder straps on their own, I did a pick 'n mix for the shoulder and lap belts (Not a kit). - It's looking good in their!

HTH

240.jpg