The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Air Metering

Stonkin

Guys and Gals,

I have a question regarding Air Metering, what is the better / prefered / more reliable method? The Jap version of Speed Density (MAP + Temp) or the UK version of Mass Airflow Meter.

are either safe with running induction kits or can the filtering / vibrations caused by these cause any issues?

Thanks very much,

Christian

MAP is better for the view of airflow.

I looked yesterday at the Supra's Air Mass Meter and it wasn't pretty. At high boost levels this will certainly create a significant pressure drop. It's not the end of the world, but if it can be avoided it would be nice.

At least it hasn't got meshes like other designs do (Audis, Opels etc)

Guest Usmann A

Clarity of MAF systems is much better IMO, especially places on Deccel Fuel, Or instances where Huge TBs creating huge turbulance at low TPS angles. Pressure fluctuations are seens sometimes, and reation time of Intake Pressure can be a slight downside, thus why we have lots of internal modifiers/compensators.

And especially as motors wear down, etc, thier VE dropping, the MAF system is great for countering this aspect. Thus why OEM USED.

But I agree with the above, MAP is alot easier to tune, and the downside of MAF being that its air leak sensitive.

I am going to be putting a MAF on the intake of the supra inlet soon(after intercooler), and It will be a big custom hot wire system, with 0-8V on it, but it will need tinkering. ;) and calibrate its scale into the fuel/load maps.