The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clifford Intellistart IV (aka The Never Ending Story)

Jake

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but anyway....

My car had a Clifford Concept 600 alarm and Intellistart unit when I got it. The Intellistart has never worked as long as I've had the car even though the previous owner swore blind that it did work and that he'd just forgotten how to activate it.

My local Clifford dealer in Portsmouth checked it over and told me the Intellistart unit wasn't working. I managed to get the unit replaced or fixed by Clifford (the replacement appears to be a used one) and I've refitted it tonight. The damn thing still doesn't work!

The Clifford Wizard software (Ver 2.20) doesn't even see that the Intellistart is installed now. The 'Starter' icon on the toolbar is now greyed out, so I can't access the Starter part of the Cliff Wizard software.

At least with the old Intellistart unit the software did 'see' that the Intellistart was there and let me change it's settings - it just didn't work!

Does anyone know if there's something I'm supposed to do to make the alarm and software recognize the Intellistart?

This saga has been going on for months and I'm getting really frustrated with this damn thing now.

I had the same sort of grief with mine. Apparently the intellistart needs 2 lives into it from the battery (something like that)

Mine used to try to start but wouldnt actually get going..

luckily a know-it-all at sextons fixed mine and works by just pressing the single star button on the remote.

might be worth gettin the clifford boys to take another peak

I've made a bit of progess. The lead that connects to the laptop (Marked "A" in the attached photo) was connected to a connector coming out of the Concept 600 alarm. (connector marked "B")

I guess the alarm guys must have connected the laptop lead to the alarm when they removed the Intellistart unit.

So now I've connected it up as shown in the pic and the Wizard software is now seeing the Intellistart. It's still not working though :(

When I go into the the 'Starter' section of the software it displays a message saying "Possible bad memory read. Press Cancel and reenterIntelliStart 4 screen" but there is no Cancel button to press, only an OK button.

When I click OK it takes me to the Starter menu screen.

IntelliStart_01.jpg

I've just been to the local Clifford dealer and borrowed an Intellistart brain and it still didn't work. Then the guy noticed that the software seemed to think the car is a Manual transmission. He (permanently) earthed a Black/Green wire and the Wizard software then saw the car as an Auto and the Intellistart then worked perfectly!

Problem solved, right?

...Wrong!

We diconnected the Intellistart brain that I'd borrowed and reconnected my one, but now the laptop software won't work at all if the lead is plugged into my Intellistart!

God I'm pissed off.

I only got the brain thing back from Clifford this week. As soon as I plugged it in correctly I got the "Possible bad memory read" message when I went into the Starter menu. After plugging the borrowed one in (which worked fine) my one is dead.

The problem is that I got the original brain replaced by a Clifford dealer as a favour because the guarantee doesn't cover me because I wasn't the original purchaser.

the local Clifford dealers aren't interested in anything but selling me replacements and/or charging me £20 for a 5 minute look at it. Can't blame them I suppose, I didn't buy it from them.

Anyway it seems like the alarm is also knackered now. It won't beep when I arm/disarm the alarm and the windows don't auto-close like they're supposed to.

This Clifford stuff sure seems flaky.

Car alarms are pointless anyway. As long as I've got a certificate to show the insurance company, that's the main thing.

The guy I bought the car from paid over £600 for this Clifford stuff and the Intellistart has NEVER worked. (It can't have because it was wired up as a manual trans car)

Sorry for not spotting this earlier Jake, Can you PM me your phone number and I'll give you a ring tomorrow.

The Intellistart unit you now have definatly worked... I know because I tested it! Whay it doesn't work now is a strange one :conf:

Certainly Cliffords can be a bit tetchie sometimes, but personally, I love 'em... When they're working properly :D