The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are Toyota taking the p*ss

mikeyb10supra

Car is going in for a service this week and I said the pads might need changing.......£300 just for changing them....is this a fair price or am I getting my pants pulled down....this seemed pretty steep to me considering the £200 service I need as well :complain:

how much are standard toyota pads any way.....i thought the fronts were around £47 and rears £55??

thought so......Pads cant be that hard to fit surely......that would work out at about 2.5-3 hrs labour costs, I will see what they say, if its really that much, I will take it it else where......I know a few private mechanics that could do it way cheaper but was a bit reluctant to take it to them as there not as knowlegable as Toyota are, but if its an easy job im sure they could do it, what d'you reckon??

Thanks for the advice....may of saved me a buck or two which I can spend on modifying :woot: :D

If you are talking about J-spec pads then its £30 - £40 for the rears and £70 ish for the fronts. It takes me about an hour to fit one pair so assuming Toyota charge £60 per hour that would be a £230 ish job all-in.

Fit them yourself. Its easy.

yeh, changing the pads on a supra is the same as any other car ive ever came across....quite basic really so any mechanic should have no problems at all changing them....for £300 i would expect a set of uk brake calipers all round too.. :p

......I know a few private mechanics that could do it way cheaper but was a bit reluctant to take it to them as there not as knowlegable as Toyota are, but if its an easy job im sure they could do it, what d'you reckon??

You will probably find they know more than Toyota which isnt uncommon !! ha ha :D

Whys that then???? im a lazy ass :D

next time I will take it you Jeremy Clarkson

Because they'll sting you for every penny they can get. It's not like you can't get some decent pads and then ask pretty much any garage to fit them (if you really don't want to do it)

Because they'll sting you for every penny they can get. It's not like you can't get some decent pads and then ask pretty much any garage to fit them (if you really don't want to do it)

I did think that but its real headaches droping my car of anywhere as most places are a fair drive from where I am and Toyota are quite near to me......I will try and have a go myself and see how it goes, its just hard finding the time to do it :(

As an aside, have you tried this recently with a high-street garage (not a one-man band jobbie, I mean).

I have found over the last three years that many places simply will not fit parts that have not been bought through themselves - even if YOU are supplying geniune parts and THEY wouls supply pattern parts. Seems to be very common with safety-critical parts like tyres and brakes.

They don't want any possible legal comeback if they fail.

Most of the time they will be very easy to change.

Wasn't easy doing the front nearside on my UK brakes though, one of the pins was very tight. A lot of hammering and levering just to get it to budge.

Best to smear some copper grease on before you put them back in!