The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I've been decatted - thanks to CW

Aerotop Dave

Well, another 'thank you' thread for Mr Wilson - did a decat, fuel pump change, spark plug change, tightened suspension bolts, restrictor ring, gave it the once over. And all I had to do was sit in his lounge, drink Ribena and watch telly (I'm ashamed to admit it, but 'Trisha' is actually quite compulsive!). I even got the vacuum hose for the boost gauge plumbed through to the dash :thumbs:

Was pootling along afterwards a few miles down the road and stopped at some roadworks traffic lights - looked in the rear mirror and saw that there was a fair old cloud of smoke billowing around the back of the car, and two old dears in the car behind pointing it out to each other. Was a bit alarmed, so pulled into a layby soon afterwards and gave it a bit of a rev up. Seemed to clear it. Came down to the first bit of straight road and gave it a little squeeze on the throttle - :woot:

But what's that strange hissing sound? Took me a good few miles to work out that the screw Chris had put in the end of the vaccum hose by my left thigh was sucking in air. Phew, nothing serious then.

Strangely I used more fuel on the way home than I did on the way there :rolleyes: so I stopped for some petrol about 15 miles from home. Started the car up again and had the billowing smoke around the back (not enough to obscure the rear vision, but very noticeable in the rear view mirror). I thought the first time might have been some damp in the decat pipes or something, but this was with a warm engine :confused:

Checked it under throttle again and there doesn't seem to be any smoke then, and this morning I decided to attempt a technical fix (omg) so I bent the vacuum hose double and firmly clamped it - I wondered if it was sucking in air and affecting the fuel mix or something (I may very well have made a total t*t of myself there with that technical thinking but hey... so what's new). Stopped off at Tescos to pick up some cakes for work (it's my birthday today :) ) and didn't see the smoke problem again. Did I fix it with my clamp...?

Anyway... only got chance to give it a blast once or twice on the way home. Wow, so much more responsive, it feels more like the go pedal is connected to the engine, it reacts much quicker. And the HKS Priest exhaust is nice and audible now without being over loud. Can't wait to try it with the roof off. I'm well pleased (look > :D )

However, the thing I actually noticed more was the tightening of the suspension bolts. Chris said they were only a little loose but boy did it make a difference - much less crashey over bumps and it now feels like the front half of the car is connected to the back!

350 mile round trip... didn't see another Supra (apart from the silver and blue ones at CW's house).

And to top the whole day off, I got to take a wee in the legendary World's Biggest Bathroom. It's bigger than my dining room... and has thicker carpet! :cool:

Thanks Chris :thumbs: ++

(what do we reckon on this smoke issue people? I would like to make it clear that I'm 100% confident it's nothing Chris did)

350 mile round trip... didn't see another Supra (apart from the silver and blue ones at CW's house).

One of the blue ones is mine :D

As for the smoke issue, have you spoken to Chris about it, worth an e mail or phone call to see what he thinks?

Hope you get it sorted :thumbs:

Yeah, Chris phoned me later to see if everything was alright (how many places do that?!) and he thought it might be a bit of damp in the gaskets possibly. I'm gonna keep an eye on it but I'm fairly sure it's just a minor problem and not blown turbos or anything (my turbos get so little use they're in danger of furring up).

The only thing that may cause smoke after de catting is if the turbo seals are getting tired. The reduced back pressure is such that it "shows up" tired seals by allowing the pressure differential either side of the turbo to leak a bit of oil. As anyone knows who has dropped a tiny bit of oil on a hot manifold, a bit of oil makes a LOT of smoke. Watch the engine oil level, and keep an eye out for smoke, especially when idling. If the seals are tired you'll soon know. If the screw in the hose is leaking I'd bend the hose hard over double and tie wrap it tight, or screw in the self tapper further. I assume you'll be fitting the boost gauge soon though?

Thanks for the kind words and your custom.

Why not just get a custom made job? They can make them to your exact requirements. Someone on here was offering just such a service last year, can't for the life of me remember who though.

If you want loud, they make them loud, if you want quiet, they make them quiet - simple. The HKS Priest fitted to my car was the other side of £1000 I believe, so this method could possibly be cheaper :)