The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Active Spoiler???

suprasam

Seen a few Supras advertised with Active Front Spoiler - is this standard and how does it work?? Sounds cool i am guessing its like the Mitsubishi GTO one which deploys at a certain speed??

Was this standard across the range?? If not is it possible to refro fit one??

Cheers

Suprasam

Retro fitting one fo rthe look wouldnt be too tricky, getting all the electrics wired up etc would be a bit trickier I'd imagine.

Would the wiring already be there on the models that don't have it? I know a lot of makers use the same loom for all the models but just blank the plugs off for the bits that aren't fitted.

I have a spoiler, the aluminium frame, spoiler ECU, switch and brackets in the garage, what else would be needed to fit one? (Obviously not on my car, I already have one that's disabled thanks to the FMIC :()

The front active spoiler makes a fairly big difference in front end downforce at 80mph+ speed. When mine was removed (after FMIC fitting) the steering felt light and the car unbalanced at high speed, particularly when at WOT.

very true.

The car's shape is like a wing (short path for the air below, longer on top) so it creates LIFT as it moves through the air. Not what you want during high-speed runs.

The lower spoiler reduces the airflow beneath the car, so the 'lift' effect is also reduced and the car feels more planted down.

The rear wing creates some downforce at high speeds, but only on the rear axle, so this has the effect of actually lightening the steering a bit (at the expense of better traction of the rear wheels)

People have reported this difference and while I'm not disputing it I do wonder about all these aftermarket bumpers. I guess with the active spoiler you can make a direct on the spot comparison, whereas it's a bit more tricky to do this with the standard bumper and an aftermarket one. However, I just wonder how many of them are designed in the wind tunnel and how many are just designed purely for cosmetic looks. I would suspect the latter myself, but don't know for sure.

The really interesting one would be the Veilside nose I imagine. That little 'lifty-up' bit in the middle must force air underneath the car, so surely that's gotta be bad for front end grip.

If the active spoiler really does make such a difference, then I wonder why more people with aftermarket noses don't notice a wishy washy front end at speed...

Homer , have you tried a top speed run with the Do-Luck ???

The do-luck seems to have at least as much downforce as the stock with the active spoiler down, possibly more. Best I've been up to since getting it back is 150 and it was absolutely fine, not a trace of light steering.

My stock-fronted RZS does not have an active front spoiler but it feels very stable at 160+

I'd like to fit an active spoiler to the car but purely for cosmetic reasons.

My Calibra felt pretty stable at 160+ the few times I took it that far.

However, compared to the Supra, it was flimsy and unsettled at anything over 120. It's all relative.

If you have a chance to drive a stock Supra with the spoiler down at those speeds, only then will you have something to compare it to (again assuming wheels and suspension are similar)