The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Meshing the front bumper - how big a sheet?

Aerotop Dave

I just did this over the weekend. I used one sheet of drawn steel mesh from B+Q 1.5x0.5m (approx) cost about 15 pounds- and it was enough for the main intake and the two on the sides. To finish it off I wiped it down with thinnners and sprayed it with hammerite, though originally I wanted to get it powder coated for durability. I will post some pics when I take them, but the car isnt at home at the moment. One thing.. be careful when you cut it.. edges are sharp. I still have a couple of cuts on my hands so wear gloves, and still be careful.

well lets just say, Charlie, I 'declined' going to theatre today... hence the number of posts on the board! Still the minor scrape was well worth the result, it really makes a difference to the car.

p..s your old decats are hopefully going on this week!

Hmmm, I hadn't considered our friendly local DIY store. I shall investigate.

What do we think, silver car needs black mesh or silver mesh? I pondered if silver mesh might be too noticeable.

I would go for black, even on a silver car. Its a nice contrast, especially over the front of a nice silver FMIC. In terms of longevity, getting the mesh powder coated once you have cut and sized it would work best, as powder coat wont chip when it gets hit by stones - I am just waiting to see what my hammerited grill looks like after a a few miles! worst case scenario is to take it off and get it powder coated at a later date.

And i always thought it was labours fault we had all the ops cancelled. :tongue:

Did I say any ops were cancelled? I merely stated that I wasnt going to theatre today (the other guy went instead, which leaves me plenty of time to price and spec up a carputer!) :sly:

If you want to bring politics into it......... yes I agree that all the white papers since 1997 have had a um.. 'negative' effect on morale. Especially the 4 hour maximum wait in A+E... anyway.. off soapbox now

Just meshed my bumper too! I used ally mesh from R-tec (£15). It's same size as Halfords - Halfords stuff is £30 but not sure if it's SS or ally. The Mesh I used is quite stiff so hopefully I don't get too much damage from stones.

I've got silver on silver - I think it looks nice - a sort of 'clean' look. I'll post a pic when I get home

1 piece is sufficient for the middle, may just about do sides. Although peeps been saying not to do sides as it'll be too much meshing?