The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT Failure :(

Sharpie

Failed due to front brake lines (Goodridge) not being attached to the car. (i.e. in the middle of the pipe like stock) and "flopping around all over the place" obviously, they are attached at each end :p

They have been on the car for the past 27 months and the last 2 MOT's at this same testing station.......

They don't leak, they don't catch on anything!

I'm thinking tie wraps for a quick fix ?

Any ideas ?

brake line.JPG

Mate,

I read this thread with some concern. I have just fitted Goodridges to my car and t awaits its MOT once my knackered wheel bearing is replaced. On closer inspection I was wonderign about your photo... is the bracket which attaches the lines behind the upper suspension arm obscured in the view, or is it not present?? If it is there, I cant see what else you can do to secure the line as this i what the stock line is secured with. If this bracket is not there, then surely this would be the first thing to sort out.

James

SG - It was FOC for the 1st test but, I can't wait until the 27 April for a re-test :(

James, My Goodridge lines were not fitted with any bracket like the stock units are and Mr T only sells complete units which, are his suggestion. i.e. remove goodridge and fit stock rubber pipes :(

I have been told this is due to a big shake up in MOT rules for 2005 and that this was not part of the 2004 rules :sly:

Um, can you take the brackets off your old lines and use these in any way? I know its obvious that you cant simply slide them on owing to the fixed ends, but what about say cutting the brackets through middle of the circular hole leaving a semicircle, and then jubilee clipping them back together roud yoru new line or something? Well my lines cae with the brackets, so they are attached in the stock locations. I hop this is good enough, and anwyay, the garage that I take it to is pretty friendly, so we will see.

Split a bit of rubber hose and slip it over the braided line where it needs to attach to the chassis bracket, then tie wrap it on. Or if you want a perfect job i can supply proper rubber lined P clips. They need the holes drilling out to 6mm for the bracket bolts as they are only 5mm as stock. No big deal...

Split a bit of rubber hose and slip it over the braided line where it needs to attach to the chassis bracket, then tie wrap it on. QUOTE]

Just the job :thumbs:

Before - where you can see the hose running through the open bracket.

After - Where you can see the rubber hose tie wrapped onto the bracket.

and close up.

I tested lock to lock and there is no "pulling" or anything - Job's a good 'un.

Let's see if Mr MOT likes it or not (Different place)

How utterly anal is that??? The brake line is aeroquip steel braided FFS. not only has it got to wear through that outer braid you see it then has to wear through the rubber which should also have wire braids running in it like tyres do. How much difference will clamping that pipe in place 3" away from the union actually make??? Knacker all with that type of pipe. REALLY some of these people ought to excercise a little common sense when they do MOT's.

I can't wait til they start testing window tints, I wonder how a few of us will get around that little chestnut?

How utterly anal is that??? The brake line is aeroquip steel braided FFS. not only has it got to wear through that outer braid you see it then has to wear through the rubber which should also have wire braids running in it like tyres do. How much difference will clamping that pipe in place 3" away from the union actually make??? Knacker all with that type of pipe. REALLY some of these people ought to excercise a little common sense when they do MOT's.

I can't wait til they start testing window tints, I wonder how a few of us will get around that little chestnut?

Take the windows out !!!!!

dont know why the Goodrich line dont have a locating bracket , thats why i sourced some that do use one 1!!! :eyebrows:

Dude :devil:

Surely on the re-test all he has to do is check that the brake line has been secured? Unless there were other things that needed doing as well. it shouldn't need a whole MOT slot for that.

The original garage can't re-test for a couple of weeks so he's going elsewhere I think. I know what you're saying though- why can't he just pop past, 30 min job max!

No, it would have to be a full retest as per the MOT rules. If it was a wiper that was faulty or a tyre then, you can return with 24hrs and have a quick check but, if it's something other than what's listed on the back of the form then, it's a full retest.

It was the only thing that was wrong.

Thanks to SG and Neil :) I have a retest at 1pm today at another place.

Cheers Barney.

I went to Humphries (01344 485851) in Bracknell on Market Street just behind the train station. It was Neil who suggested them and Ian the tester is a "good" guy. He said that a cable tie would suffice but, the rubber hose is even better and a good idea.

I'd rather go their and pay £42.10 each year than get one FOC at the other place who, were not helpful at all really…..I found when I got home that they had snapped off a bolt which, holds the o2 sensor on the CW pipe and not told me, I’ll have to have that drilled out now.

It’s a shame really as the other departments at that establishment are very good!

Thanks for your time and info though Rosie :)