The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Tyres needed urgently

blert596

Hi guys and gals, I posted this in another thread earlier but didnt get a reply. I'm hoping its because the thread was an old one and not because its a bone question. Any advice is desperately needed and would be very much welcome

Gonna have to replace my rears pretty damn soon, and was after some advice on what tyre to be looking out for, and also what prices to expect to pay. My cars an NA by the way.

Currently I have the tyres from when I picked up the car, they are:

Front: Yokohama 235/40ZR18 (DNA GP)

Rear: Yokohama 265/35ZR18 93Y (AVS)

What I'd like to know is are these any good and should I just get the same set again if I can. Or are there better ones. Tend to do mostly dual carriageway/Motorway driving and the usual 4 mile jaunts to work.

Also, If I get them sent can I just take them to Kwik Fit or somewhere to have them fitted and balanced. What is the benefit of getting them aligned and where should I be looking to get that done. Im in Glasgow.

Dont know if it makes any difference but I've got AVS alloys (dont ask me what type though).

Any help appreciated.

Bobbeh, B'have,

Thanks for the replies. They look good and mainly because the price is a lot lower than I was expecting. :thumbs:

Next questions are:

Is it worth keeping the original fronts as these are still in good nick? Or should I change all 4 at once. This will break my heart as the fronts are good, but can they be mixed? It will also break my wallet!!

If I get them delivered would it be wise/ok to take them to a local garage/kwik fit for balancing alignment?

Cheers

Billy

Is it worth keeping the original fronts as these are still in good nick? Or should I change all 4 at once. This will break my heart as the fronts are good, but can they be mixed?
Keep your existing fronts if they in good condition. It's nice to have the same make/model tyres all round but it's not really necessary.

If I get them delivered would it be wise/ok to take them to a local garage/kwik fit for balancing alignment?
You must get them balanced but surely whoever fits them for you will take care of that. Folks usually get the alignment done if the previous tyres had worn unevenly or the car handles badly.

You might have trouble finding someone to fit tyres that you bought on the net. It would be a good idea to pop in your local tyreshop and check with them first.

Recently had Michelin Pilot Sports fitted on the back and I'm very impressed with them. Far better than the P-Zeros I use to have and better than the Bridgestone SO-2's before them.

No problem to mix tyre makes front/rear provided, as long as you have the same tyre make/spec on rears or on the fronts. I currently have Michelin Pilot Sports on the rears and Pirrelli P-Zero on the front, I'll get Pilot Sports on the front when they need changing.