The mkiv Supra Owners Club

#1 Supra broke + #2 Supra broke = Jake broke

Jake

I'm skint :(

I spent £600 at Miami GT last week getting my power steering and crank pulley fixed on my RZ.

Then tonight on the way home my RZ-S was really low on fuel, when I say really low I mean that I'd driven 20 miles with the yellow light on. We were nearly at the exit to the Shell garage when the car did a massive backfire and ripped a hole in the exhaust! It's never backfired before. Something to do with nearly running out of fuel I suppose.

So now I'm gonna have to spend a bundle on a new exhaust. I can't drive it like it is, it's nearly as loud a Rays The Roofs car.

Dear old game this Supra lark, innit?

Thanks for sympathy guys. :)

Lee, If a RSR is £450 I may as well spend the extra £150 and get one of the GReddy Ti ones Envy are selling at the mo. I think the RSR is just a mild steel one and they only last a couple of years IME

Nic, yeah I'll have a closer look to see what condition the surrounding metal is in. It's blown right on the bend where it goes under the axle and I know it's been grounded there a few times before so I guess that was the weakest point.

Cant see how running out of fuel woudl cause a back fire? Surely you would need an abundance of fuel to ignite?
Yeah that does sound more logical. The backfire happened as I eased off the throttle a bit after overtaking someone. It was the first time I'd used full throttle in the last 20 miles because I was trying to make it to the Shell garage.

Alternatively I wonder if it could be something to do with running a GReddy e-01 boost controller at 1.2 bar with the second cat still in place?

It must have been quite a bang. The hole has got jagged edges pointing outwards - like a bullet hole!

its never ending spending money. hope you sort it soon. i got a stock exhaust for £10 + postage if you desperate for one.

you can think of it as a positive. have you looked into importing making your money go further?

maybe try get it welded up to get you going again

:eek:

RSR's are stainless, except for the piping which is mild steel - which some say has a nicer resonating sound to it.

only $400 from the US, plus shipping of course.

Alternatively you could borrow my UK spec exhaust once my RSR comes from Texas (it's on its way I think) if you want