The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake Problem, NASTY CALIPER !!

MichaelG

Ok seeing as how i was fitting the Teins to the car this afternoon, i had the car up on axle stands and decided to do the brake fluid while it was in the air with the wheels off.

One of my mates is a mechanic and he helped me, got all the way round the car, to the last caliper, the front passenger side, (nearside front) and went to unscrew the bleed nipple slightly. No stress whatsoever, and the whole bleed nipple AND A MASSIVE CHUNK OF THE CALIPER completely crumbles and shears off from the rest of the caliper !!!! :eek:

So now i am stuck with my car on axle stands, which am not too happy about, and need to find a caliper as soon as possible.

Can ANYONE at all help me please ?

The car is a 1994 J-Spec N/A and its the Nearside front caliper (passenger) that i need urgently. I dont need the carrier part, just the centre caliper section with the piston etc.

Would be VERY greatful to anyone who can help me out here.

PM me please, or email me at michgellie @ aol . com (without the spaces)

Thanks in advance

Michael

PS.......I am actually quite shocked at how easily this thing crumbled !

Common problem indeed, i believe its happening to a lot of people !

Its actually pretty scary as well considering how brittle they seem to be !

Thanks for the replies guys, PM on the way !!

Michael

PS......This forum yet again proves its worth in Gold. Superb. :thumbs:

urgh :( i want to change my brake fluid soon and im a bit terrified of this happening :(

I would get someone to do it for you mate, like a garage, either that or make sure you have easy access to a spare set of calipers, cos it didnt take much for mine to crumble !! :swear:

I had the same problem. I had to replace my passenger side caliper. When the part was removed, a hairline fracture from the bleed nipple was notice by the mechanic. It had caused a small brake fluid leak, which had caused the emergency light to come on, on my dashboard.

He did comment that it was a bit of a stupid design being that the caliper was quite heavy.

I reckon this is caused by over-tightening of the bleed nipples and then the heating and cooling of the casting as the brakes work.

I'm a bit worried not because I recently changed all my calipers and I'm a little bit prone to over-tightening if I don't have a specified torque to work to.

Mind you, my brakes are still cool after a hard thrash. I wonder if there is a link to stuck pins and pistons? Just thinking out loud...

I would get someone to do it for you mate, like a garage, either that or make sure you have easy access to a spare set of calipers, cos it didnt take much for mine to crumble !! :swear:

think a kwik fit fitter could do the job?? i'd rather the car got stranded there if the caliphers crumble than the garage by my work which 40 miles from ym home