The mkiv Supra Owners Club

uk tt brake pads/service questions??!

DBR

Brake pads uk spec - i need my toyota pads changed and wanted to know is this a simple something that can be done by my local garage or do i need to take it to my usual toyota or a jap specilist? (needless to say who charge me an arm an a legg!).

which brings me on to my next question to you experianced supra boys....and ladys, were should i get work an service done on my soop? my local jap garage are very good and they used to be part of Toyta/Lexus servicing called JEM (they service and repair alot of import soops already). or Toyota??? toyota are slightly more expensive on labour eg fitt an supply rear + front pads £300, JEM costs £280, spark pluggs supply + fitt £180 toyota, £165 JEM.

some have said to me toyota wont know to much about the soop and that your better off going to a jap specilist....is this true???

oh, and if it helps at all some of my serv. hist is toyota but most of it is done by independant toyota specilists.

let me know please peeps.........Thanks!!!

Brake pad replacement is very straight forward so should be fine to take to local garage. Services should also be okay with local garage you trust, provided they use correct parts, oil, etc.

If you are wanting to modify/tune the car then I would definitely go to some one with a lot of experience with working on Supras.

cheers m8, yeah thats what i thought brake pads....easy stuff.... any garage should be capable im going to a garage tomorrow and they are £120 cheaper than toyota??!!!

What pads are you having fitted? If you're changing them it would be worth spending a bit extra for a set of fast road pads, Paul at 'Whifbitz' in traders section does Porterfields at good price and Chris Wilson (see members list) also does his own, which a lot of members use. It would also be worth getting brake system bleed and filled with Motul brake fluid (again see Whifbitz site) This will really help improve braking and pedal feel.

You might also want to find out if there are local members who can recommend a garage near you, or have experience of the garage you mention.

im trying to keep the whole car toyota standard.......at the moment it is a toyota thorough-breed (not one aftermarket part) and thats generally the way i was planning to keep it.....do you know roughyl hoew much it costs to bleed the brakes?? and oh yeah whifbitz is about 10mins from me are they worth going to?

im trying to keep the whole car toyota standard.......at the moment it is a toyota thorough-breed (not one aftermarket part) and thats generally the way i was planning to keep it.....do you know roughyl hoew much it costs to bleed the brakes?? and oh yeah whifbitz is about 10mins from me are they worth going to?

I'd contact Paul Whiffin the owner of Whifbitz and member here. I have bought a few things from Paul and he is very helpful and knowledgable of the Supra.

Don't know cost of bleeding brakes there but it is a simple job, so shouldn't be too much.