The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The antifreeze conspiracy

JohnA

I've been trying to find antifreeze for some time now. Not of the £10/litre ready-mix variety, but the 5lt full concentrate.

Nothing.

I remember CostCo were doing some 5lt bottles for £2-3 a year ago, and I was stupid enough not to buy a few immediately. Next week they were all gone, and when I asked I got bullsheet answers (Like now it's summer, this is a 'winter' product, we'll have some next month, etc) Never brought any since, not a drop.

Same with Macro, nothing.

Same on the internet (only Screwyou.com sell some), hell even Halfrauds stopped doing their overpriced (£18) 5lt canisters, and replaced them with much smaller ones at £10, only going down to -17C (i.e. 2/3 are tap water!)

WTF, twilight zone?

I popped yesterday into a local big motor-factors and found 2 5lt Comma high-concentrates for £11, grabbed them, that's all they had!!!

I asked what's the story, did a new EU regulation come into force banning ethylene glycol, or what? (Methanol has already been banned some time ago)

His answer made sense: he said that the automotive industry is too small (comparatively) and has no buying clout to force pricing it's way. There are now a few other industries where this ingredient is in high demand, and prices have skyrocketed. So the price of antifreeze has really gone up massively, and most 'high-volume' discount suppliers just can't get it at a decent price, so they dropped it altogether. :violin:

Anybody else know any different?

http://www.conspiracyarchive.com/