The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toyota parts --- where from?

JohnA

Is there any company selling discounted Toyota parts?

You know, filters, gaskets, connector clips, that sort of thing.

With Vauxhalls there is AutoVaux who can bring anything the dealers can, but at a lower price (much lower sometimes)

I was wondering if there is something similar for the Soop

So everybody buys service parts from the main dealers?

9-odd quid for an oil filter? sheeesh....

Even my local motor factors have such bits at less than half price, I got a few today. Fuel filter £20, not cheap by vaux standards, but Toyota want over £40, lol (not having a Toyota before, I didn't even know if the motor factors stock anything of this sort)

I take it there are not many 'hands-on' enthusiasts here then, eh? :cry:

Well trying to change the oil and oil filter just now I wouldn't blame them really, the plug is a beetch to get to (without a 2 post lift) and the oil filter is on the other feckin side. I have not enough space in my garage to jack the car up from the passenger side as well, and the front jacking point is far too deep for even the longest of hydraulic jacks (I've got a massive 3-ton one and it's still far too short) So I guess I'll have to get the car to a lift for oil-filter and fuel filter. Sheet, I feel impotent...

I jack mine up from the front... slide your jack in from the side so that it goes in just behind the front wheel and then put it in alignment with the front suspension crossmember, then you chould just about be able to crank up the jack using the space behind the front wheel in the wheel well to get the jack off the floor.

Well it's got to be bang in the middle of the crossmember, doesn't it?

Any pics mate, or diagram, because the whole thing is sooooo long

EDIT: what about this fellar?http://www.fensport.co.uk/parts.htm

he's got some mkiv service parts at non UKripoff prices

Anybody used him?

(God I miss my Calibra now, engine work was a piece of pish compared to this beast. At my peak I had swapped turbos (exh manifold, drain coolant, refit etc in an hour and a half at some point!

On this one it was almost an adventure to get the plugs out. :p The bloody breather hoses split as I tried to put them back, thank god I could impovise with lengths of similar hoses I had leftovers from abusing the Calibra lol...)

...Its not the sort of car that people do things on the cheap with generally. Theres a lot less of a market.

Well I'm used to changing oil, oil filter, fuel filter and airfilter very often, and coolant/ATF etc come a close second. With full Toyota prices this isn't viable, is it?

I'm sorry if I appear here to be a killjoy or a wierdo, but that's how I do things.

I also don't believe the claims of any aftermarket reseller/manufacturer, I like measuring and testing things myself. It's surprising how much water they use in their wine:D

sorry... no pictures.....just slide the jack in jest behind the front wheel and eyeball it as it ligns up wiht the crossmember. My 3 ton jack is large but fits just about.

As for cheap parts... yes you can get the.... I use http://www.toyotaworld.com yes it has to come from the states... but heres an example.

UK Mr T price for rear wheel bearing £126

toyotaworld price $56 plus tax (which you dont pay as its an overseas order)

even waiting a week for delivery thats not bad.

sorry... no pictures.....just slide the jack in jest behind the front wheel and eyeball it as it ligns up wiht the crossmember. My 3 ton jack is large but fits just about.

So you don't totally center it up, do you?

I'll try this next time mate, cheers for the tip.

UK Mr T price for rear wheel bearing £126

toyotaworld price $56 plus tax (which you dont pay as its an overseas order)

even waiting a week for delivery thats not bad.

Mr Fensport asks for £65 for the same wheel bearing (kit)

Double the transatlantic price, yet half that of mr T.

It's good to have alternatives lined up, isn't it?

Cheers for the tip mate. :cool:

£40 for a fuel filter !!!! you need to change dealers i think they should be £24

If you use anything other than a genuine oil filter you are mad and you should really use the Lexus item ending 2004 which is about £12, looking at your post im am really surprised that you are happy to skimp on these things which are relatively cheap , of course if you have found genuine items at these prices i stand corrected :read:

Remember these cars (UK) were circca £40K when new , you are still buying parts for a £40K car as far as Toyota are concerned !!!!

Dude :p

Why is he mad not using a gen oil filter.... we stock purolator filters and r just as good ads intheoryr the same filter? toyota just brand them as there own????

And you can prove that can you , and do Purolator do a filter for the lexus LS400 , which can sort out a lot of issues ????

I love it when all of a sudden Toyota/BMW etc all use a certain filter , someone who sells Fram filters will claim that they are made for toyota , doesnt bother me dude but if you cant afford £8 for a filter why buy the car !!!!

Dude :cool:

Lol...was fair enough dude mate...was critising.... just making my point of view...cant keep my nose out lol!

No probs dude , and BTW purolator are very good filters :sly:

My point being if you had a new toyota and took it back with a P filter on it and the ends run out of it would they honour the warranty ????? I dont think so , i also know the stock fuel filters allow my car to fuel fine at ***hp :innocent:

Dude :)

i just changed my oil and fitted relocating kit. its easy to change oil filter from top if you move the power steering filter to get to filter.

you need to get out of the worlds smallest garage :)

do you have a driveway where you could move car onto to do any work.

i used a normal sissor jack on each side and put wheel under car. keep meaning to buy a trolley jack and some axel stands. veilside side skirts are crap to jack car up with. elmhurst toyota in usa do discounted parts for supras, just have to take into account shipping costs. i have bought from them before.

ps fuel filter is easy to get to too, just under passenger side near front wheel.

Same as Mark: I bought a trolley jack but I still end up using scissor jacks because I can't get the trolley jack under the car with Veilside skirts.

Get some blocks of wood with wedge cut out one end, drive car up onto blocks and you can then get the trolley jack under.

i just changed my oil and fitted relocating kit.

what does it relocate? (sorry for sounding dumb, but on some Supra-specific issues I'm a virgin)

its easy to change oil filter from top if you move the power steering filter to get to filter.

power steering filter? even it's existence is news to me :moo:

you need to get out of the worlds smallest garage :)

Say that again. The trouble is that it's part of the house, and cannot be extended either way.

You can access the car (ish) just from one side at a time, you have to decide which one beforehand!

do you have a driveway where you could move car onto to do any work.

It's on a steepish slope, so that's no-go.

i used a normal sissor jack on each side and put wheel under car. keep meaning to buy a trolley jack and some axel stands.

I've got 2 2ton Halfrauds trolley jacks and a beastly 3 ton from CostCo. The problem is that the base of the handle is upright so it won't let it got deep enough under the Supra to access the middle of the crossmember. :banghead:

This car is fekin wide as well as long (compared to FWD 4 cyls of course!)

ps fuel filter is easy to get to too, just under passenger side near front wheel.

yeah, if you manage to lift the whole of the front.

I have to improvise here, it's embarassing enough that I changed oil and left the old oilfilter in place, still for a simple flush it's fine.