The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just bought the supra

JohnA

Got the beast in the garage, almost ran out of petrol, well who fills a car when they're selling it, eh?

It's a storm blue UK, vintage of 96 :D

The auto box feels weird, I was used to the 6sp of the Calibra turbo (after 5 years of overboosting torture, the poor thing was happy to see my back :zen: )

I'm not exactly a mechanical virgin, but please forgive me for asking apparently 'simple' questions in the near future, as I don't take anything for granted -- better safe than sorry is my motto.

please forgive me for asking apparently 'simple' questions in the near future, as I don't take anything for granted

Welcome aboard!

That nice button at the top called "search" will be your savour!

(People get a bit tetchy if you don't try this first!)

You're kidding, right?

Why would I be kidding?

The sup is bigger, heavier, auto, with less and longer gears, less power more likely (stockish), not recently rebuilt, how exactly could it ever feel faster?

Smoother yes, better built yes, but faster --- I don't think so...

Wait til you get used to the autobox, you probably havent experienced kickdown and kept it above 4k rpm yet.

I came from a proven and reliable 260bhp cav turbo, the supra is far Superior in every way.

It just takes a little getting used to.

Must be a dog if its slower than a calibra turbo...something aint right..

Nah, I've driven quite a few other supras in the past (all autos or tiptronic), they all felt the same.

A major factor could indeed be my unfamiliarity with the autobox

The calibra's 6sp I knew like the back of my hand (actually I've still got the burn marks from the back of my hand, earned when a boost hose came loose in the middle of nowhere :nana: )

I've always wondered how a 6sp TT would be, but I'd never trust a used one, it would probably be ragged to pieces...

Nah, I've driven quite a few other supras in the past (all autos or tiptronic), they all felt the same.

A major factor could indeed be my unfamiliarity with the autobox

The calibra's 6sp I knew like the back of my hand (actually I've still got the burn marks from the back of my hand, earned when a boost hose came loose in the middle of nowhere :nana: )

I've always wondered how a 6sp TT would be, but I'd never trust a used one, it would probably be ragged to pieces...

I had a 280bhp Calibra Turbo before the Supra. It was bloody fast but nowhere near as fast as the TT Supra, including the autos I test drove. However the power delivery was more brutal so the "kick" felt more, the smoothness of the supe covers that over somewhat.

The sup is bigger, heavier, auto, with less and longer gears, less power more likely (stockish), not recently rebuilt, how exactly could it ever feel faster?

Smoother yes, better built yes, but faster --- I don't think so...

:shrug:

I've driven both and TBH every Supra I've ever driven was faster than the Calibra Turbo. The Supra might be heavier but it manages sub 5 second 0-60 times. Our cars aren't really at their best from a standstill but once they've got out of first gear there's not much that will beat them.

A stock JDM Supra TT usually dynos at over 300bhp, I don't think a stock Calibra T is anything close to that, is it?

toyota figures for uk manual supra= 0-60 4.6

auto = 0-60 5.1

top speed 160mph ,electronically limited

calibra turbo vauxhall figures 0-60 = 6.2

top speed 152mph

obviously good drivers to get these 0-60 times

but looks to me to be a big gulf in performance.

Easy now people, why are we starting to talk bollox here? :limp:

GeordieSteve asked my opinion compared to my own ex-calibra, not someone elses, or a standard one.

Stock for stock there's no comparison, obviously. Also the 'feeling' and actual times can be two different things.

My calibra in 2nd gear at 3K rpm would hold over 20psi until almost 6K (when it would choose not to misfire, lol...)

a stock (or BPU) auto supra would be dead meat, what with the calibra's traction what with the shorter gearing.

But for smooth feeling on the motorway the Supra is in a different league. Hell, even the doors click properly. :cool:

easy now

I presume his Calibra was modified in some way when he speaks of overboosting... again as he says auto makes it 'feel' smoother/slower rather than a manual doing the same job.

Anyway, dont be so harsh on the guy, hes seen the light :)

Welcome John, and get some pics of your car up :)

Here's a couple of fresh pics (day off today :D )

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/images/supra/supra_bay1.jpg

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/images/supra/supra_bay3.jpg

It's a beauty, I should have ditched the Calibra years ago :respekt: