The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitting Tein Suspension, is it a DIY Job ?

MichaelG

Ok am gonna give it a bash at last.........but what i want to know, before i jack the car up at each corner is............

1) Am i going to be able to do this myself with good tools but without an airline ?

2) Am i going to need to compress the springs to get the top mounts off the old struts and onto the Teins ? I assume yes ?

3) Is the car going to need to be on a 4 poster or can i do it one corner at a time (got a feeling anti roll bar will have stress on one side if i jack it up but does that need disconnected at the drop link or not ?)

Cheers in advance

Michael

Ok am gonna give it a bash at last.........but what i want to know, before i jack the car up at each corner is............

1) Am i going to be able to do this myself with good tools but without an airline ?

Shouldn't be a problem without an airline. You'll need to get someone to check the alignment afterwards though.

2) Am i going to need to compress the springs to get the top mounts off the old struts and onto the Teins ? I assume yes ?

Yes. The whole shock/spring assembly comes off the car in a whole, but to recover the top mounts you'll need to compress the spring or else you'll send it over the next door neighbours house along with some body parts. Maybe price up new or uprated ones anyway?

3) Is the car going to need to be on a 4 poster or can i do it one corner at a time (got a feeling anti roll bar will have stress on one side if i jack it up but does that need disconnected at the drop link or not ?)

I did rears together.

Just be careful of any seized bolts. I had a problem on the rear with the short (3/4 inch) stabilzer bar which wouldn't unbolt as it was spinning freely. After doing the rears and finding this I gave up and took it to ChrisW to finish off doing the fronts and tracking it all up properly.

There's docs on how to do this on the downloads section.

Just be careful of any seized bolts. I had a problem on the rear with the short (3/4 inch) stabilzer bar which wouldn't unbolt as it was spinning freely. After doing the rears and finding this I gave up and took it to ChrisW to finish off doing the fronts and tracking it all up properly.

Replace both front and rear sway bars they are a sod to do as there's a build up of stuff on them, you need a 5mm allen key to hold the bolt still a wire brush to get the crud off and lots of wd40.

Going to be changing my std shocks and springs this weekend if the new ones (HKS Hypermax) have arrived in time. so will let you know how it goes

Replace both front and rear sway bars they are a sod to do as there's a build up of stuff on them, you need a 5mm allen key to hold the bolt still a wire brush to get the crud off and lots of wd40.

Going to be changing my std shocks and springs this weekend if the new ones (HKS Hypermax) have arrived in time. so will let you know how it goes

Got a part number for that at all mate ?

Cheers would be much appreciated if u let me know how it goes.

Thanks

Those are the bits! I managed to round the hex key bit hence my problem. It all comes flooding back now.

Right little buggers. A few inch long bar with a kind of rubber ball socket(ish) each end which connects the anti roll bar to the lower suspension arm. (from memory)

Those are the bits! I managed to round the hex key bit hence my problem.

So did i on the rears as I hadn't realised the hole for the key was there. It was full of muk when i started. It was only after i'd got the nut really stuck that the WD40 that i'd sprayed cleared the muk out. But by then it was to late in the end with the help of a spanner this a foot long extension bar and a mole grip with a foot long entension bar i was able to get the nut off.

Front was so much easier after what i'd learn't on the back.

Scrub with wire brush, spray WD40 using allen key and spanner undo till nut gets stuck, do up nut scrub bolt spray wd40 undo nut till it gets stuck and repeat till it's off.

Rear took me 5 hours from jacking up to taking the jack out from under the car. Front took 1 1/2 hour from jack up to jake out