The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Losing Tyre Pressure All Round

hadyn

Recently had a set of toyos fitted to the rear of my car. I always check the air in my tyres and make sure i've got 36psi all round. Unfortunately since fitting the toyos all tyres front and rear seem to lose pressure from 36psi to 34 psi in the space of a day/60 miles. Any ideas of the cause of this??Is it dodgy valves? Rears are 275/35/18 on a near 11" wide rim and 245/40 on a 9" wide rim at the front

Guest smiffy23

unlikley to be the valves. one, maybe two, but not all four! check the valve cores to see if they are tight. if not it could be losing pressure from the bead. how old are the alloys? normally old alloys have paint flaking off which means the tyre bead wont seal!

alloys are old, came with the car, and were probably put on a good few years ago in japan...

My old crap tyres used to hold 36psi no probs, and the fronts used to be OK too....

I've done the old spit test on the rear valves and the spit remains/doesnt bubble off...

does this mean i've just got to keep religously checking my pressures then?

Guest smiffy23

take it back to the garage that you had it done, they should take all the tyres back off, wire wheel the bead down to good metal, then put bead sealer on it! usually does the trick! :thanku:

Guest smiffy23

should drop to a level, then stop once the pressure isnt enough to force its way out through the gaps around the bead. if it is the valves, it should keep going down because the weight of the car will force the air through a constant gap.

well its not all four really as such, the fronts always used to hold pressure apart from the drivers side one which would lose about 1psi a week. Im wondering if its differences in the calibration at petrol station air machines??

Guest suprawannabe

yeah different machines will give slightly different readings but your own even if its cheap as it will at least remain more constant than using different machines to check it or try and always check at the same place and remeber tempreature will play its part as well !