The mkiv Supra Owners Club

SMIC options out there?

JohnA

CW unit is the most cost effective new SMIC I'm aware of, your only way to save money would be to buy a used on from a later car.

Toyota want ~£1000 and I've no idea how much my ARC SMIC would have been new, it seemed to do the job until the Corsa bent it a little though. I keep meaning to pressure test it at a local IC place to see if the core is OK....

If someone wants to avoid fitting a FMIC, what options of a replacement SMIC are out there?

I know of the excellent CW units, but the price is a bit of a downer (considering the total value of the car nowadays)

cheers guys

£48k car new

£500 SMIC

That's really expensive.

if you are looking for an FMIC, i have a MONSTER of a front mount intercooler for sale (brand new)!!!!

Generally when a post starts with "If someone wants to avoid fitting a FMIC" it's probably being written because the poster "wants to avoid fitting a FMIC" ;)

£600 now, shame that the price hasn't adjusted with the times...

I'd like to avoid a FMIC because the radiator ducting will go awol, the aircon will be unhappy, and the whole underbonnet airflow balance will be upset.

The stock SMIC has a nice exit for the heated air, away from the engine bay. The frontal area is not mega-large, but then again that's not the most important factor in the whole recipe(no matter what traders of FMICs will try to tell you)

It's certainly big enough for the modest power expectations I've got, and with pre-compressor water/methanol injection the whole setup can behave like a monster FMIC without the fitting aggro (I've done this before)

Pace haven't yet bothered to respond to a similar query, they're making too much money apparently...

The SMIC CW does is quite cheap IMO - it's certainly well made and good quality, and drops straight into the existing mounting points without any aggro whatsoever. I would fully recommend it - I've had mine on for coming up to 2 years now and it's been flawless. It's also uprated over the original unit, and will be a brand-new item as opposed to a 2nd hand one. Personally, I'm surprised they're as cheap as they are - I reckon he could sell them at twice the price!

It costs less than a set of tyres and will last far longer.

Generally when a post starts with "If someone wants to avoid fitting a FMIC" it's probably being written because the poster "wants to avoid fitting a FMIC" ;)
There are many who fall into this category, who have looked at all the options and come up with SMIC as the best solution to their requirements. The Greddy SMIC is supposedly rated as OK up to 550 BHP. It is quite a bit bigger than stock and has a far superior construction. It required no modifications to fit just a little determination as it really fills the void left by the old stocker and fits snugly on the standard mounting points, just need a slight adjustment to an IC bottom hose.

If I had not had the offer of the Greddy I would have certainly got one from Chris as he only deals with top quality items from top quality suppliers and manufacturers.

:respekt:

Wow, you piss in your tank because fuel is too expensive relative to the car?.

I piss in general mate

Takeaway, too :p

£500 every 10 years, don't sound bad to me.

In the original post, I pointed out myself the quality of the CW unit.

The question in this thread is What other alternatives have we got out there?

If we can stop chasing our tail and repeating the obvious, maybe somebody will come up with a relevant answer. :thanks:

Just checked the prices of the ARC and Greddy SMIC's here in HK.

ARC SMIC = £1000+

Greddy SMIC = £550+

Considering prices here are usually around 40% cheaper than the UK, then it looks like Chris's SMIC is a good deal. I'll check the Toyota price too and see how that compares.

The ARC unit doesn't look too bad.

It was a great little IC, good size and very well built - seemed to do the job well.

Do you happen to know who sells them mate?

Sadly not, I've never seen another one on a site - I tried to hunt one down when mine got a little bit bent but had no joy, searches just came up with ARC FMICs. I got mine via Michel Lane who got it from the US, it's sat at home in the garage awaiting pressure testing, as you can see in the later pics it got a bit of damage :(

If you want to see if it's any use to you feel free to make me an offer and I'll get it in the post :)