The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS Super Dragger Rusted!

hadyn

Just got my dragger patched up and welded after developing some rather nasty holes on the bend before the back box. My advice is steer clear if you have to pay big money for one as they're a mild steel system. My welder guy said that the pipe was 'rotting from the inside out' and that it 'wasnt going to last long' :(. Good job I didnt pay for it then!! Anyway its patched up now and the car feels slightly quicker too :) Have a look at the attached pics for the holes that had developed in the rear...

hks 001.jpg

hks 002.jpg

Taken from the Stainless steel information site :rolleyes:

"3. Can stainless steel rust? Why? (I thought stainless did not rust!)

Answer: Stainless does not "rust" as you think of regular steel rusting with a red oxide on the surface that flakes off. If you see red rust it is probably due to some iron particles that have contaminated the surface of the stainless steel and it is these iron particles that are rusting. Look at the source of the rusting and see if you can remove it from the surface. If the iron is embedded in the surface, you can try a solution of 10% nitric and 2% hydrofluoric acid at room temperature or slightly heated. Wash area well with lots and lots of water after use. Commercially available "pickling paste" can also be used. See "The Care and Cleaning of Stainless Steel" for more information."

looks like the titanium exhaust salesman did you there mate!! :p just like the salesmen who gets folk to part with 12k for a JDM 1993 auto TT which is really worth 8.5k :)

That was only one factor for my decision, the others being looks, weight and sound above all.

Bummer, ive got a super dragger. Hope it doesnt rust on me anytime soon.

Dont worry about it mate you can get the holes patched up for about 40 quid, i've had plates welded over the holes and coated to avoid further corrosion. Unfortunately they all rot and from the inside too which is the most worrying factor. Im just saving up now to get a proper exhaust like a Nur Spec or GT Spec for when I fully decat :)

All mild steel exhusts will rot from the inside out, its not worrying just a fact of life. If you only do short journeys things are worse, the moisture the engine produces lays in the lowest parts and the exhaust doesnt get hot enough for long enough to burn it off.

I have a dragger on mine as well. What do you guys find the best to clean it with to keep it in good condition?

well my sensible brain says put a blitz nur spec r on, as they're great zorsts and I used to have one on my old S14 :)

But i might save a bit of cash and go for an RSR one, or may be a bit different and go for one of those 5Zigen zorsts.....Wont be changing till end of the year tho, unless the dragger totally rots through in the next few months!

That was only one factor for my decision, the others being looks, weight and sound above all.

Yep go one every time can't beat the Greedy Ti Racing imo :p

If you pick up a superdragger compared to a Ti then you would rename it Super heavy ;)

well my sensible brain says put a blitz nur spec r on, as they're great zorsts and I used to have one on my old S14 :)

Phew, I was getting worried then. I thought I had come across a thread that you had posted in where you didnt mention the S14 :p

Phew, I was getting worried then. I thought I had come across a thread that you had posted in where you didnt mention the S14 :p

lol, I do miss it mate :) I get flamed on the SXOC for talking about my Supra all day on there, and I get flamed on here for talking about my S14 all day too :woot:

Guest suprawannabe

firstly I am new to supra so trying to catch all the lingo so whats an S14 ? also how much for a titanium system as I have a Ti can on my bike and weights less than the 5 £50 notes I paid for it so would be interested to see how much a system for a car as big as this costs !

... so whats an S14 ?

lol, Nissan UK Marketing is great isnt it?? :thanku:

an S14 is a Nissan 200SX, which if you dont know is a RWD Turbo'd Coupe which produces 200bhp in stock trim :)

S13/S14/S15 refers to the chasis code, e.g. if you see R33 or R34 it usually refers to Nissan Skylines :)

Guest suprawannabe

ah that clears that up, there aint many cars I dont know or have a good idea of the spec but that threw me ! I know the 200 bit of a fave with the drifters i believe !

What about titanium price then ?

Guest suprawannabe

CJ is this just the back box and rear section or a full sytme from tuby back (am new so not yet familiar with a suora exhuast system so please forgive the igorance and bikes are easy as you can see all the engine and exhaust).