The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bad start to the day (Rant) (Long)

Jake

My grey RZ has been off the road since christmas eve with no power steering. I changed the pump but it didn't help. So I bought a replacement steering rack (Big thanks to Ian C for his help getting this) and was going to fit it this weekend. . . . until I started the job on Saturday and quickly realised there was no way I was going to be able to do this on my driveway, on my own, with no ramps.

Dude had said he'd fit the rack for me but he's usually booked up for weeks ahead so I thought I'd give Paul K at Miami GT a ring. He said he could do it for me on Monday (today). The quoted price seemed good and I booked it in for 10am.

So this morning I leave home for the hour trip to Miami GT. The car struggled to start - battery nearly went flat but it just about started. I went round to the local petrol station to fill up. Because the battery hadn't had a chance to charge I left the engine running while filling up but I'd only got about £7 worth of SUL in the tank when the pump stopped. I looked over to the kiosk and the woman is gesturing for me to turn the engine off.

"I can't, it might not start again" I said

She just shrugs and crosses her arms. Bitch.

Hmmm, a standoff. I can't win though - I need the fuel. So I turn off the car and fill up.

Then I go and pay for my fuel, trying really hard to not ask the woman why having my car running is sooo fucking dangerous, after all there's other cars merrily driving in and out right next to mine without causing a major explosion. :rolleyes: Anyway, I just about managed to bite my tongue.

Get back to my car and guess what? Yep, flat battery. :swear:

...and it's an Auto Supra, so I can't even bump start it.

...and my jump leads are at home in the my Supra

...and I've got the only keys to the other Supra in my pocket.

...and my Mrs is already on her way to Miami GT to pick me up.

Needless to say I didn't make my 10am appointment. :(

I hope you left it in front of the pump while sorting something out
Oh yes, big time. For over an hour in fact.

And although she wouldn't let me buy petrol with my engine running she never said a word when I finally managed to get hold of some jump leads and proceeded to make sparks with them. Not clever, I know, but I was in a very bad mood by then.

She'd have had a large jump lead clamped to each tit if she had said one more word to me. :devil:

What were the symptons of your power steering going jake?
It was very difficult to turn the steering wheel!

:p

Seriously though, there was lot's of squealing from the ancillary belt area and the PS sometimes not working.... but sometimes I would get the squealing yet everything worked OK, other times the power steering didn't work but there wasn't any squealing.

Eventually it turned into the power steering not working at all. I thought the squealing might be the water pump and nothing to do with the PAS problem.

Paul K reckons it's probably that the crank pulley is shafted. We'll see soon, the car's with him now.

OMG... Jake, you made me crease up with the jump lead comment.. just make sure if you were going to do that to her you ran the jump leads through an inverter!

You had me really worried though, as after I fitted my FMIC, and therefore moved the PS cooler, it made my PS pump make all sorts of noises, thank god they stopped otherwise I might have been looking at a trip to someone to get it fixed.. way beyond my knowledge. Still, hope you get it fixed soon

FWIW just had a customer car and after putting a single on we changed the PAS reservoir the first time it started it sounded like the cams were trying to leave the head , took a few goes for it to quiet down by carefully filling and leaving untill the bubbles left the system , id be surprised if it was the rack .

Dude :devil:

Just worked out your avitar - PMSL!

It's like - whats all this gesturing if you are on a mobile phone INSIDE the car!

Fecking Jobs-worth's!

I once had a flat on the forecourt and no spare - on the way to work at 7.00 am and only me with the keys - so left it on the forecourt well out of the way

He was jumping up and down - what do you want me to do - push it into the road and leave it at the entrance to the forecourt?

Need;ess to say - came back 6.00pm that night and collected it! LOL!