The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone see 5th Gear? That ESP thing?

RedM

If you didn't see it they had a feature about winter testing and that Tiffany Dell bloke was hooning about on a frozen lake testing anti-lock, traction control and some new thing called ESP.

Basically it stops you getting sideways if you suddenly do drastic direction changes at speed. Without it, he was all over the place. With it on, he managed to avoid the obstacles and, frankly, it was pretty impressive. Something to do with cutting power and applying brakes individually. Y'know, the sort of thing that only computers can do quickly.

Is this ESP, or something like it, available as an add on for the Supra? Would anyone buy it if it was? It seems perfect considering all the tales of sideways based 'moments' that I've read on here.

Oh, and speaking of Sideways. Don't watch the film of the same name expecting some hot drifting action. There is none!!:limp:

From what I read on here it would seem like a godsend for many drivers. To be honest, I'm getting closer to getting a Supra myself but the closer I get the more tales of woe I read. I'm dreading getting one and finding that I've got to drive slower than in my 440 unless I'm going in a straight line!

Guest suprawannabe

had a company car which was a top spec laguna with it on ! bag o shite really as anyone who can drive can outdrive something like this (not me perhaps but my mate tried it and he teaches at prodrive and we switched it off and he still did better without it !) horses for courses if you want a computer to drive for you fair enough ! IMHO and that might not be others !

ha ha sometimes I get the impression that Supras will head for the nearest wall, field, barrier even when being driven sensibly.

Only if it's wet, or icy, or tramlining, or you are not concentrating 101%, or there are leaves on the road or diesel on the roundabout - the rest of the time they are fine! :lalala: :lalala:

Only if it's wet, or icy, or tramlining, or you are not concentrating 101%, or there are leaves on the road or diesel on the roundabout - the rest of the time they are fine! :lalala: :lalala:

What about if there is a Y in the day of the week?