The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Early morning club drive

Shane34

Well I had an absolute blast with the supra last weekend. It suprised me how well it did. Also zero issues which is bonus.

So I'm part of the MR2 owners club, own a heavily modified MR2 which SRD mapped recently, sadly I only had a months insurance so couldn't take this as it ran out, so out came the supra for the very early morning drive. Weather was perfect, crisp and dry.

What got me was how easy this car was to keep up with the others on the tight and twisty roads. Under no illusions the k20 swapped Elise was far more capable in the corners however the auto and tourqe just left him at the corners.

I followed a few types of mr2s V6 na, turbos, 2 lotus Elise, and a beautiful Noble. Was one of my 1st early morning runs and to say the least I cant wait for the next, sadly will probably be next year due to the weather. But Ill take the MR2 next time, will be very different in speeds (MR2 is 570bhp), I'm generally interested to see which will be more fun.

Any of you guys/girls go out for the early drives, not seen any monthly events other than bluewater, which is a park up and eat.?

IMG-20191020-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20191020-WA0010.jpg

Be nice to see how the mr2 feels against a similar powered supra. What's the torque on that mate?

I went for a drive on the weekend and my friend in his mr2 came along. I can honestly say I love the front end and have been dream looking on ebay for one.

If there was just more room in the engine bay to tinker i think I'd be tempted one day.

Tourque is low for now, 340 wheel, power band is from 4k to 8k. Mapped it out and made the boost progressive and drivabile. Heard a few stories that higher tourqe just makes them un drivable. I guess due to boost being like a button with the modern turbos. Currently 1.85 bar, sure I could go to 2 or 2.1 but honestly it's probably not worth it.

Well a 250 bhp MR2 Vs my supra stock jap import, the MR2 pulls in lower speeds not by much, however the tall gears means I gain on then higher speeds, maybe due to not having to change gear or just displacement over comes it at 70+.

Screenshot_20191001-212842.jpg

1.85 holy moly. What turbo is that.

Yeah lower torque can suck. I've 1 bar minimum and I still loose it a little bit.

R888 tyres now mean I can use third gear properly. Hoping second as well but I've not had the chance to hammer that too much.

Love the style of them.

Tourque on a MR2 considering they are not heavy works well, I think I could go to 450 wheel tourqe, which would bring the boost in extremely hard. Would really have traction issues then

New g25-660 .92.

Need some wheels for the supra, don't want to mod it for power haha

I've 459 ft lb wheel torque and 325 R888 need geo really to keep pushing it.

Taking me a while to figure out how to get the power down. Third gear finally hooks now! I've no idea if a lighter car would help or hinder that issue.

I sometimes wonder if I should have gone for a 58mm insteadnof a 62mm.

Surely a AWD platform like the st205 would be better for those insane power levels.

What's the transmission limits on the sw20 range?

325 is quite wide lol. What about your tyre pressures id imagine you need some trye squash to grip rather than spin? Is your boost progressive or just on full at certain revs?

Engine is directly over the rear wheels which is a massive help. E153 up rated axles. Gearboxs are really strong no idea on limits but I'm not close, generally the block cracks around the water pump area are the 3sgte limits however there's no real hard and fast rules. Some say later blocks are better as they have better casting materials etc.

I don't break traction currently, 245 wide toyos. But then I only put my foot down when the road is straight, pointless applying to much coming out of a corner.

I'm hoping to run low 11s in the quarter mile, in comparison to other similar mr2s the car is ready for this maybe even lower with some radials.

Low 11s be a good run man. Really good. That's what I could hope for if I was lucky!

I did have 345s Michelin but they didnt hook. Even on low boost.

I dont have progressive boost as my lowest setting is 1 bar in the spring. Now that hooks on third 1.5 bar also hooks. Haven't tried second gear hard when tyres are warm.

I always dreamed of a 400hp st205 for the track. Still dreaming lol