The mkiv Supra Owners Club

lights on dash before starting?

SUPRALOOPY

i have just got my new toy and was wondering if any lights should come on the right hand side before you turn the key into the cranking position?

after much squinting and reading the owners manual i can see that i have a check engine light,oil light and i think an oil temp light. should these lite up when the ignition is on but car is not running????

:thanks: :cool:

I'm pretty sure that the red triangle warning symbol on the rev counter also comes on when one of those lights on the RHS is illuminated. So if your red triangle light is working OK I guess you can assume the other lights aren't trying to warn you about something.

Does the red triangle light up when the handbrake is on?

no should i be getting worried? the car does have a full service history and as far as know has well looked after. is there something that is done during certain mods that buggers these lights and therefore disconnected or should i start reaching for my wallet??(credit card to be honest) :-)

Whats the diff between oil light and oil pressure light????

BTW: what lights do you have on the left side of the dash.....? :stickpoke

One's oil level, one's oil pressure

Seat Belt, bulb blown warning, Slip Control Off (Facelift only IIRC) errrr . . . some thing else I forget

my lights on the right cluster dont work - this is due to a dodgy dry solder joints on the loom that plugs into the lights. It's a common problem on mkiv's. Your warning triangle should work though, as not many people report problems with these...

And as said above, does the warning triangle definately come on everytime a warning light in the right hand side is illuminated?

dont worry mate, if you strip of the pannel in Q, i had the same issue, its the connections they need to be re soldered the bulbs are most likely fine, once you have whipped of the pannel play around with the connection and try again they should light up or atleast flicker! then re solder the bugger again!

sorry right hand side, low oil level,low oil pressure,malfunction ind.

left hand side,battery,open door,what looks like a cat warning light,seatbelt light.

this is all getting confusing cos i'm looking at my owners manual and its a 1994 and mine is 93 and the light set seems to be different.

i'm looking at my owners manual and its a 1994 and mine is 93 and the light set seems to be different.
I don't think there's any difference between J-spec '93 and '94 instrument warning lights. Is your owner's manual for UK spec Supras?

sorry to be a pain in the arse and not really know what i'm on about but i am now learnig about a whole different pedigree of car and to make things worse i am a machanic,

but i only deal with classic rolls royce and bentleys. these cars are out of my league and i do need some help, also i do not want ruin my best toy ever !! :violin:

what about this triangle light in the rev counter can anyone shed some light on wether it comes on when the handbrake is pulled or not??i am starting to think my car is not as it should be and my bum is starting to go :-(

Yes it does. In fact it comes on whenever any of the other warning lights come on.

what about this triangle light in the rev counter can anyone shed some light on wether it comes on when the handbrake is pulled or not?(
Sorry, it seems I didn't make myself clear. When I said to you "Does the red triangle light up when the handbrake is on?" I meant that it's a way to tell if your (You, Geeza) triangle light is working or not. I wasn't asking it as a question like "Is it supposed to come on?"

Apologies for confusing you.