The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What other cars have maintained their aesthetic & performance appeal?

herbiemercman

Hi Guys, My old man had a white XK140 Jag in the sixties with the wire wheels etc, i was only a toddler but old enough to start being a "petrol head". The aesthetics of the car stayed with me and it was only when the E Type came on the scene that i was in awe again.

My first car was a Vauxall Cresta Hydroglyde in two tone leather with pale blue hide bench seats, straight six engine and it was a UK version of the similar cars in the USA.

My youngest brother bought a Toyota Amazon Cruiser 5 lit diesel, my middle brother bought a Mk 3 Supra in red, i then part exchanged my Cresta for a metalic grey Celica, all great cars, looks and performance.

My middle brother, who i miss so much, dealt with a big company that supplied our building materials, and the owner let him borrow his new MK4 Supra for a weekend, the cars were very rare at the time, but they drew a crowd, this one was red and the rear lights and head light design as well as the rear spoiler, and mega performance, "blew people away" including me.

So, we had to have one, and we had to wait a while, then we became aware of an import company in Cork, Southern Ireland, we manipulated a great deal, for two as new, "Imports", a black autuo TT, and my bus a black NA manual with limited slip diff and Commando Toyota sills.

To this day, 23 years on, i still feel these cars were "well before their time", and one of the few aesthetic designs, IMHO, that have stood the test of time, what do you think? Herbie.

Edited by herbiemercman (see edit history)

The first time I ever saw an e-type was a brown Mk1 parked up at the public baths and as a young boy I had my nose pressed up at the driver window just agog at all the switches and dials and the fact that the speedometer went around to 160mph when most cars of the era struggled to reach 80mph.

Who knows what makes a car design timeless, it's not that they are curvaceous because the De Lorean is anything but. It has to be a bit of movie exposure. You name any iconic car and it's likely majored in a blockbuster film or cult TV series. Though i'm not sure the e-type only made it because of Austin Powers.

Hi Guys, My old man had a white XK140 Jag in the sixties with the wire wheels etc, i was only a toddler but old enough to start being a "petrol head". The aesthetics of the car stayed with me and it was only when the E Type came on the scene that i was in awe again.

My first car was a Vauxall Cresta Hydroglyde in two tone leather with pale blue hide bench seats, straight six engine and it was a UK version of the similar cars in the USA.

My youngest brother bought a Toyota Amazon Cruiser 5 lit diesel, my middle brother bought a Mk 3 Supra in red, i then part exchanged my Cresta for a metalic grey Celica, all great cars, looks and performance.

My middle brother, who i miss so much, dealt with a big company that supplied our building materials, and the owner let him borrow his new MK4 Supra for a weekend, the cars were very rare at the time, but they drew a crowd, this one was red and the rear lights and head light design as well as the rear spoiler, and mega performance, "blew people away" including me.

So, we had to have one, and we had to wait a while, then we became aware of an import company in Cork, Southern Ireland, we manipulated a great deal, for two as new, "Imports", a black autuo TT, and my bus a black NA manual with limited slip diff and Commando Toyota sills.

To this day, 23 years on, i still feel these cars were "well before their time", and one of the few aesthetic designs, IMHO, that have stood the test of time, what do you think? Herbie.

Was that a PA Crestra? This one is my Brother's image