The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Putting N reg on my imported M reg car

Nathanj1142

Before I start, I am aware this is unlikely to happen but it’s worth asking if anyone’s done it. I have a private N reg (N99 CYA) that I’d love to put on my supra but because my car is a 94 - I can’t.

Is there anyway I could Get this on my car - with it being an import I’m not sure on regulations for regs. Could I argue anything on my v5 with dvla? If I found evidence of course.

Silly question really but worth asking to see if it’s been done.

No you won't be able to for n reg would be 95 plus vehicles I also have a n reg private plate but can't be used on mine as its 93 model.

M covers from 01/08/1994 to 31/07/1995, its all about the cars actual date of registration and if its a 1994 car then it can't have an N reg plate on it as that runs from 01/08/1995

Prefix_Registration_Age.png

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Depends if it's a dateless plate, I put my SUP 2J plate on my 93 supra because its dateless. Might work the same for you.

Good luck

Its actually a suffix reg and its dates are 01 Aug 1970 to 31 July 1971

https://www.platehunter.com/car-registration-years-

N99 CYA is a prefix reg so can't be used

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Its actually a suffix reg and its dates are 01 Aug 1970 to 31 July 1971

https://www.platehunter.com/car-registration-years-

N99 CYA is a prefix reg so can't be used

Interesting, so it can go on anything after 1970 then. I was unaware of its date as it wasnt released by dvla until a few years ago at which point I bought it, the supra is the 1st car the plate has been on.

Interesting, so it can go on anything after 1970 then. I was unaware of its date as it wasnt released by dvla until a few years ago at which point I bought it, the supra is the 1st car the plate has been on.

You can put an older plate on a newer vehicle not not the reverse.

Edited by blythmrk (see edit history)

I had my current plate (N11GME) on my 1991 rev1 mr2 turbo.

Because it was imported in 1998, the date of first registration in the uk meant I could choose a plate up to that date, despite the vehicle being older.

I spoke to the dvla to check before buying my plate, and went to the local dvla office to sort the transfer out after purchasing it.

I had my current plate (N11GME) on my 1991 rev1 mr2 turbo.

Because it was imported in 1998, the date of first registration in the uk meant I could choose a plate up to that date, despite the vehicle being older.

I spoke to the dvla to check before buying my plate, and went to the local dvla office to sort the transfer out after purchasing it.

/QUOTE]

THIS Is what I’m looking for. I thought there might have been a workaround.

Car was imported in 2003 I believe.

Did you just call DVLA?

Thanks.

THIS Is what I’m looking for. I thought there might have been a workaround.

Car was imported in 2003 I believe.

Did you just call DVLA?

Thanks.

Hi matey, I did yes.

I saw the plate online and called dvla to check whether I could use it prior to purchasing.

They told me that the prefix is based on the first registration date in the uk, meaning on a '91 manufactured vehicle, I could have a plate up to' 98 (S reg I believe) as that was the date of first registration in the uk.

I bought the reg, and took the documents to the local dvla centre, and walked out with an 'N' reg mr2 [emoji16]

Hi matey, I did yes.

I saw the plate online and called dvla to check whether I could use it prior to purchasing.

They told me that the prefix is based on the first registration date in the uk, meaning on a '91 manufactured vehicle, I could have a plate up to' 98 (S reg I believe) as that was the date of first registration in the uk.

I bought the reg, and took the documents to the local dvla centre, and walked out with an 'N' reg mr2 [emoji16]

/QUOTE]

Interesting stuff

Update:

Called DVLA and the woman basically told me to sod off as car was first registered in 1994. Unless i can prove the car was manufactured after 1995 i cant put it on. She did say i could dispute date of manufacture with proof of the manufacture date.

That then led me to check my v5 - where the date of first registration was 01/08/1994 - which im sure is when the 'm' reg was started.

Is there any way i can check the year of manufacture? Will Toyota have any of these records?

Thanks.

Update:

Called DVLA and the woman basically told me to sod off as car was first registered in 1994. Unless i can prove the car was manufactured after 1995 i cant put it on. She did say i could dispute date of manufacture with proof of the manufacture date.

That then led me to check my v5 - where the date of first registration was 01/08/1994 - which im sure is when the 'm' reg was started.

Is there any way i can check the year of manufacture? Will Toyota have any of these records?

Thanks.

If the date of first registration on your logbook is 1994, I think you're out of luck.

I thought 94 was L/M reg, 95 M/N, 96 N/P,