The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Borg Warner Turbo - Who is running these

_Shane_

Looking at purchasing a new big single for when my 2jz is back from its forge build.

Who on here is running a Borg Warner turbo? What model are you running and what kind of power you making?

Feel free to post any engine bay pics too as it be nice to see how they different ones look in the supra bay

Looking at maybe an S369 or an S472

what about the EFR range, heard great things on other cars was tempted to buy one for the MR2 i have, very light wheel to help with spool. Ive gone G25 660 on my MR2, hoping to make the same power as the gen 1 GT35.82 but 800/1000 RPM sooner, or close to it.

I run an sxe369. Stock block, 264 cams, big fmic but stock intake manifold and only a 3" exhaust.

Seems a very reliable turbo, comes on hard at 4k, with good levels of boost from around 3.5k. Running around 580rwhp, which is a bit disappointing really. Romain who mapped it tells me the turbo wont flow anymore (2bar boost now).

I like it but I bought the turbo with a view to future upgrades and just turn boost up to improve power and while I am sure a 4" exhaust and better intake will free it up a bit, the figure are a little disappointing in my opinion.

Personally I wish I had gone for at least an EFR or better yet a Garrett of some sort maybe, but having said that if I was happy to stay with the current response and power output I cant really fault it. Not tried it on track yet though!

I run an sxe369. Stock block, 264 cams, big fmic but stock intake manifold and only a 3" exhaust.

Seems a very reliable turbo, comes on hard at 4k, with good levels of boost from around 3.5k. Running around 580rwhp, which is a bit disappointing really. Romain who mapped it tells me the turbo wont flow anymore (2bar boost now).

I like it but I bought the turbo with a view to future upgrades and just turn boost up to improve power and while I am sure a 4" exhaust and better intake will free it up a bit, the figure are a little disappointing in my opinion.

Personally I wish I had gone for at least an EFR or better yet a Garrett of some sort maybe, but having said that if I was happy to stay with the current response and power output I cant really fault it. Not tried it on track yet though!

/QUOTE]

Hey dave, the stock intake manifold kills power on bigger turbos. Its flow tested to work well with the lower rpm’s and help spool.

You will probably gain a considerable amount by using an aftermarket intake and having the map tweaked.

I am keeping the stock intake but i will be running a 362sxe. Not going for big power, more response. Anything bigger than this size turbo id get an aftermarket intake to reap the full benefits if its top end power your after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The G25-660 would make a sensational street turbo for a Supra. 500-550bhp with incredible early spool.

Agreed, was part of the reason for buying it, if i didn't like it on the mr2, it could replace my stock twins haha. its a very small turbo.

could always go twin g25 550 .72 ar small turbo but fast spool, probably get boost from 3/3500? not sure how the twin ratio works out with regards to numbers but would be pretty brutal.

The G25-660 would make a sensational street turbo for a Supra. 500-550bhp with incredible early spool.

Agreed, was part of the reason for buying it, if i didn't like it on the mr2, it could replace my stock twins haha. its a very small turbo.

could always go twin g25 550 .72 ar small turbo but fast spool, probably get boost from 3/3500? not sure how the twin ratio works out with regards to numbers but would be pretty brutal.

I'm running an s362 1:0ar, with a cast log manifold, turbosmart 45mm hypergate, 3" exhaust system, stock jspec cams, unopened engine and at 1.4bar I make just shy of 600bhp.

Ive got a set of 264's that I might fit, along with an aftermarket inlet manifold, which should se increase in power at the same boost level. But I'm reluctant to push it, as my auto box probably wouldn't last very long!

/QUOTE]

I’m currently running an s366 1.0.ar and have been for 2 and a half years. Very reliable turbo seems bulletproof. Made 636whp at 1.7 bar. Can’t work out why yours only made 580, what injectors are you running?

Pics of mine for op. It’s been polished. Funnily enough it will be for sale very soon as it’s getting replaced with a pt 6870 as I’m going for more now.

I’m currently running an s366 1.0.ar and have been for 2 and a half years. Very reliable turbo seems bulletproof. Made 636whp at 1.7 bar. Can’t work out why yours only made 580, what injectors are you running?

Pics of mine for op. It’s been polished. Funnily enough it will be for sale very soon as it’s getting replaced with a pt 6870 as I’m going for more now.

https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2019/08/28.jpg

https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2019/08/29.jpg

/QUOTE]I am getting more confused by each comment too!

Im running 1000cc asnu injectors with twin 450lph pumps and twin lines, so fueling capacity is there. It is also running a whifbitz exhaust manifold and twin wastegate setup.

I was under the impression the exhaust and intake were the bottlenecks but I see yours is on the stock intake manifold too?

Are you on a stock block by the way?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

3" from the turbo back, fully decatted too.

/QUOTE]Hmm, maybe try a bigger exhaust system, but that turbo will definitely flow more than that buddy.

Are your cams dialled in to tdc?

Sounds like something isn't right?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Hmm, maybe try a bigger exhaust system, but that turbo will definitely flow more than that buddy.

Are your cams dialled in to tdc?

Sounds like something isn't right?

/QUOTE]The timing marks are all perfect yeah, but perhaps the cams themselves are not perfectly aligned. Is there a surefire way to ensure the cams are aligned right to the sprockets? Its been a long time since I eas in there last so I cant remember if the cam to sprocket interface is poke yoke design or has room for misalignment?

I do agree that I would expect the turbo to flow more than it does!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Something not right there Dave. On our dyno at work I see most s362's doing around 550whp, s366 are usually around the 600whp+ mark. I would expect 369 to do a minimum of 650whp.

What A/R housing are you running on it. You definitely using a s369 SXE?

Something not right there Dave. On our dyno at work I see most s362's doing around 550whp, s366 are usually around the 600whp+ mark. I would expect 369 to do a minimum of 650whp.

What A/R housing are you running on it. You definitely using a s369 SXE?

Hi Mike, I have had the turbo a few years now but I did order it as a 369! Is there a way to confiem from the serial number? The Borg Warner website doesnt seem much help beyond the part number which doesnt identify my specific turbo.

Hi Mike, I have had the turbo a few years now but I did order it as a 369! Is there a way to confiem from the serial number? The Borg Warner website doesnt seem much help beyond the part number which doesnt identify my specific turbo.

/QUOTE]Can you measure the compressor wheel? Should be 69mm, whereas the s362 has a 62mm

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I am getting more confused by each comment too!

Im running 1000cc asnu injectors with twin 450lph pumps and twin lines, so fueling capacity is there. It is also running a whifbitz exhaust manifold and twin wastegate setup.

I was under the impression the exhaust and intake were the bottlenecks but I see yours is on the stock intake manifold too?

Are you on a stock block by the way?

/QUOTE]

Stock block, and that dyno session was also a 3” exhaust setup all the way through. You have more fueling than me. You should have more top end power too in theory [emoji848]