The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can you say you have a car if it is all electric?

herbiemercman

Hi Guys, My drinking friend at my local has just shelled out 27K for a BMW all electric car, it has very large diameter wheels with very narrow tyres, it is dangerously silent on approach,it has a range of 120 miles, it rockets up to 30 MPH but then falls away, this is where a fast internal combustion driven car would pull away and leave it behind. I realize that this is a small electric car and the 'Tesler' boys would be a different matter for acceleration etc.

I cannot see why a 'petrol head' like my friend would not miss the exhaust sound and the gear changes, sort of trying to drive the car, he also tells me he doesn't often use the brakes as the induction on the electric motor does the braking, also if there is a white line on the road it steers as well.

For me , these are NOT cars, they are just a means of transport without the need for the skills of the driver and the enjoyment from the power, noise and gear changing of a real car. What do you think?

Although am not really a fan of electric cars purely down to range in my case, I think you’re case is weak, they are cars. Remember, like bikes there are all different tastes. So is an all electric bike not a bike? Same as automatics, cause you don’t change gear etc

Some of the fastest cars at Goodwood were the fastest there. One even broke the record for the climb although not official, shattered the combustion engine time.

You’re argument makes no sense. However that’s my opinion, just like you have yours,

Until they are illegal I will always have a weekend petrol sports car for the sound, looks and thrills. However for the daily grind I will have what ever is most reliable and cheap. At the moment that’s a diesel car for me but as soon as electric cars become a cheaper option I won’t even bat an eyelid to change.

Sounds like Bmw i3s my “petrol head” friend has. Although impressive from the launch it can take him 5 hours to get from London to Bristol where we often work because he has to find a “fast” charger on the way.

He loves being in my supra tt6 when we commute so I don’t understand why he has it but he loves it.

Until they can get the mileage out of them they are not for me! And no engine noise is strange.

I was on a speed awerness course the other week aswell and the guy said that all electric cars are going to have a recall soon to fit a buzzer or simulated engine noise at low speed because hundreds if not thousands of people have been knocked over in city centres by electric vehicles because they can’t hear them coming!

You have to understand that electric is the future. Despite the pollution from making and disposing of batteries, and legacy pollution from charging them, internal combustion engines will die out.

Also I will never understand why people put so much stock in changing gear

I have just spent 7 hrs last weekend traveling from Essex to Preston, the M11 was closed due to a serious accident and the 'smart motorway' work on the M6 had many hold ups and massive congestion, i was driving my Merc estate work horse which is an automatic, i realised it would have been a night mare in the Supra, the amount of times i would have operated the clutch and the gear lever.

I think my Supra is only tenable where i can choose where and when to drive it. Herbie.