The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Petrol smell near rear of car

Johnm400

Im getting a petrol smell near the rear drivers side but no sign of any leaks and the fuel cap seal looks good. It seems worse after just putting fuel in. Is there any problem areas around the filler that i should look for?

Are you tanking it ? Is there a pressure valve to avoid excess pressure building ?

Check infront the passenger rear wheel, underneath the passenger sill, the pipes run along and up in that area. They are covered by a long plastic strip and are prone to rusting and cracking there

Ill have a look but i dont suspect a leak as theres never any damp spots on the floor. Im thinking more that its fumes escaping somewhere around the fuel filler neck area

Check infront the passenger rear wheel, underneath the passenger sill, the pipes run along and up in that area. They are covered by a long plastic strip and are prone to rusting and cracking there

This would be my first call too.

There's a small plastic cover held on with a 10mm head bolt where the fuel flow & return and a brake line have 90 degree bends.

attachment.php?attachmentid=70714&d=1202730562

attachment.php?attachmentid=70715&d=1202730562

It's not a secret, see "Stickied" thread here............ http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?140112-WARNING-15-year-old-brake-line-rotted-through

Edited by David P (see edit history)

This would be my first call too.

There's a small plastic cover held on with a 10mm head bolt where the fuel flow & return and a brake line have 90 degree bends.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=70714&d=1202730562

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=70715&d=1202730562

It's not a secret, see "Stickied" thread here............ http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?140112-WARNING-15-year-old-brake-line-rotted-through

Ill check that but as i said i dont suspect a leak like that as there is no sign of anything under the car. Im thinking more of something around the filler neck as thats where the smell is real strong.

Ill check that but as i said i dont suspect a leak like that as there is no sign of anything under the car. Im thinking more of something around the filler neck as thats where the smell is real strong.

Lol we will see. Thats what i had to. Remember fumes and the wind can be deceptive. Get that cover off and take a look. Eventually it will start leaking out but that will be when its really gone through. One thing i learnt is never assume with supras lol

After checking the car all around the fuel tank area i could find no evidence of leaks. I did notice there is no smell of petrol under the rear of car or inside the boot. The smell is solely from the fuel flap area which leads me to think it can only be the fuel cap not sealing.

Did you muster the enthusiasm to undo one 10mm bolt and discover if you and your passengers lives might be in danger?

Yes i had it raised doing the shock absorbers and they are fine on mine, bit of light surface rust but nothing like your pic but the underside is generally in extraordinary condition. The previous owner of 17 years hardly used it and never in wet weather, some years only doing about 50 miles. Im guessing that cover maybe holds water sprayed up from the road which is what corrodes the pipes. Might be an idea to cover the pipes in an anti corrosion wax and drill some small holes in the cover for water to drain away easier?

My fuel smell is deffo from the cap area, i can smell it really strong if i put my nose next to the fuel flap.

Ive cracked this! The fuel cap has a spring loaded one way vent in it to allow air into the tank as fuel is pumped out. The vent seemed to be stuck open on mine for some reason. I pushed it back with a screwdriver and fitted the cap and the smell of petrol is now gone.