The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whos fitted bilsteins?

Johnm400

Just bought 2 Bilstein struts for the front as mine are knocking but what the hell is this weird bottom spring mount? It sits on a tiny lip around the strut that doesnt look strong enough to hold the weight of the car! Also theres an end cap which knocks on the top of the strut but theres also a small collar. Does anybody know where the small collar goes?

Theres a small steel collar that goes up the top of the piston rod on the threaded part. I think the instructions refer to it as a bearing or something?

That bottom spring platform surely doesnt just rest on that tiny lip on the shock body? It doesnt look strong enough to hold the weight of the car.

These are the bits I've just purchased and I "think" are roughly in the right orientation.

The mystery piece I think is to support the bump stop. It certainly fits snugly inside and holds it at the top of the shock.

I also thought the little lip the spring seat sits on looked a little flimsy!

Only part I haven't got pictured is the top mount to assemble it all. I think that's everything?image

Oh I think it’s that little collar which iirc wasn’t needed but I can’t remember why.

/QUOTE]Are your bump stops just slid over the shock loose?

I'm also quite surprised at how loose fitting the OEM dust boot things are. Look like they'd fit snugly around a shock twice the size!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Theres a small steel collar that goes up the top of the piston rod on the threaded part. I think the instructions refer to it as a bearing or something?

That bottom spring platform surely doesnt just rest on that tiny lip on the shock body? It doesnt look strong enough to hold the weight of the car.

John, the metal lip does look tiny but that is the way they are, the metal cylinder collar (with flat edges?) goes up inside the top mount and aligns To the flat edges inside that, you sort of rotate the top mount and it clunks down into place. It will be easier once you get them out.

You doing the fronts or rears?

Doing fronts as the original shocks are knocking although now the weather has warmed and the pressure has risen they dont seem as bad. Ill get the backs at a later date so they are all matching. The collar im speaking about is round with no flat edges. i guess all will become clear when i go to fit the old components to the new shocks. Im still concerned about that lip though. Its holding the full weight of the car

These are the bits I've just purchased and I "think" are roughly in the right orientation.

The mystery piece I think is to support the bump stop. It certainly fits snugly inside and holds it at the top of the shock.

I also thought the little lip the spring seat sits on looked a little flimsy!

Only part I haven't got pictured is the top mount to assemble it all. I think that's everything?https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2019/05/305.jpg

/QUOTE]

That looks right to me. Is there no rubber seat for the base of the spring?

Managed to get one side done today. The little collar does indeed fit into the top of the bump stop. Only problem is, using the standard springs the car now sits a good 10mm higher. I know it will settle a little but not sure its going to come down as much as id like it.

Managed to get one side done today. The little collar does indeed fit into the top of the bump stop. Only problem is, using the standard springs the car now sits a good 10mm higher. I know it will settle a little but not sure its going to come down as much as id like it.

I went for the eibach lowering springs.

I know there's already a coilover fitting guide on here but I'll probably take photos as they're fitted and list all parts, prices and suppliers as this seems an increasingly popular choice

Did you remove the top arm to fit them? If so did you tighten the bolt with weight on the car/shock

Yes I removed the long bolt from the top arm but tightened everything with the car in the air. How is it possible to tighten the bolts with the wheel on and car on the ground? Theres no room to get in to the bolts.

I'm pretty sure you don't use the collar if your using standard springs.

Im sure you have to use the collar to hold the bump stop at the top of the strut rod. The original shocks have a collar machined in to the strut rod for the bump stop to sit on.