The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New this would happen

mplavery

Just getting the number off my plugs to order some new ones and I said to myself it won’t be long till these go ..

Be nice and gentle

Lol oh well

These look a right fiddle to change over

Can you still get the grey lead clips from Toyota ?

imageimage

The coil pack clips aren't too bad to change, first one for me was fiddly as was trying to figure out how it all came apart, the rest got easier as I went along, last clip was changed in no time at all. Make sure that the wires don't get swapped around when you're changing the clips over.

Thank you mate, they do look a right fiddle lol

Who did you get the repair kits from ?

The coil pack clips aren't too bad to change, first one for me was fiddly as was trying to figure out how it all came apart, the rest got easier as I went along, last clip was changed in no time at all. Make sure that the wires don't get swapped around when you're changing the clips over.

Whifbitz sell the new clips on their website then there's Toyota direct also.

There's a 'how to' guide on here for changing them over, link below

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?61141-How-To-Refurbish-coil-pack-connectors

Perfect thank you

Knew there was a guide on here, seeing if I can put the clip back tighter for a Brooklands show which is just up the road in a few weeks lol

[emoji7][emoji7]

Will be doing the same lol

Posted this up on the Supra page on FB and a guy does these

I got mine bead blasted then coated them straight after with clear lacquer.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=231769&stc=1&d=1557145268

As for the wire clips with a 7 on them I couldn’t find anywhere to buy new ones from! Toyota told me they don’t do them anymore :(

I was changing the plugs the wrong way on my car for 10 years , I realised when tracing a misfire the best way is to unscrew the coil pack from the plate and leave it plugged in and take the plug out through the coil pack opening, this saves you struggling with the breather pipes

The clips are actually pretty easy to swap out for new one.

All you need is a watchmakers little flat head screwdriver or a micro sim tool.

As for the clips there are plenty of options, I got my set off eBay with the wires. Cheap from China if you can wait a week or so. Just removed the pigtails and plugged in the old wires, removing one at a time from the old clip and fitting into the new clip as they came out that way ensuring that the wires couldn't be fitted the wrong way around.

PS - The number 7 loom clips are still available. I bought quite a few as the ones holding the coil loom had gone brittle and broke when opening up. They are also used around the engine bay so I bought a few spare to change those over sometime for new. I recall that they cost Toyota prices and had to come in from Japan so took a lot of weeks to get them.

Do watch out that you don't have lumps of plastic from the failed clip in the spark plug recess. If you do you won't be able to get to them until the old plug is removed and then you run the risk of the bits dropping through the hole. You'll probably know if something is amiss if you cannot get the plug socket to seat fully down onto the plug. I had to dab grease onto the end of a long screwdriver tip to pick out the bits out of the recess while at the same time pushing them away from the plug hole. All a little stressful but it did the job.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

Mate check these out from SRD

https://www.srdtuning.com/product/srd-coil-pack-clips/

/QUOTE]

Thanks mate

I will see how I go with the OEM ones but if one of the wires snapped I will get some from SRD

:thumbs:

The clips are actually pretty easy to swap out for new one.
All you need is a watchmakers little flat head screwdriver or a micro sim tool.

As for the clips there are plenty of options, I got my set off eBay with the wires. Cheap from China if you can wait a week or so. Just removed the pigtails and plugged in the old wires, removing one at a time from the old clip and fitting into the new clip as they came out that way ensuring that the wires couldn't be fitted the wrong way around.

PS - The number 7 loom clips are still available. I bought quite a few as the ones holding the coil loom had gone brittle and broke when opening up. They are also used around the engine bay so I bought a few spare to change those over sometime for new. I recall that they cost Toyota prices and had to come in from Japan so took a lot of weeks to get them.

Do watch out that you don't have lumps of plastic from the failed clip in the spark plug recess. If you do you won't be able to get to them until the old plug is removed and then you run the risk of the bits dropping through the hole. You'll probably know if something is amiss if you cannot get the plug socket to seat fully down onto the plug. I had to dab grease onto the end of a long screwdriver tip to pick out the bits out of the recess while at the same time pushing them away from the plug hole. All a little stressful but it did the job.

Thanks Rider

Will check the video out

Sods law about the 7 clips taken so long , will order some tomorrow

Thanks for the advise mate