The mkiv Supra Owners Club

De-catting Subaru

ballsoutracing

A standard classic WRX should be able to cope with a full decat without any adverse overboost or fuel cut issues. Standard boost pressure is about 0.9 - 1 bar for the saloon cars and approximately 0.8 for the wagons.

On the original map, fuel cut occurs at a little over 1.1bar

If your mate is going the decat route then, and if he hasn't done so already, he should invest in a Knocklink and a boost gauge and possibly an AFR gauge as well.

As a side note, the car as standard will only have one cat which is located in the downpipe. The centre section just has a resonater in it.

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

The scoob will not suffer in anyway shape or form from a Decat..... the boost won't change as this is controlled by the ECU, there will be no fueling problems, the one thing he will note is that the Turbo spools alot quicker, it wil lcome in lower down in the rev range!

The choice he has to make is whether to go for the 2.5" System or 3" system.... 3" system moves the torque right up in the rev range.

I had the 3" HKS DP with the blitz Nur Spec-r... this made it the loudest car in the world, I sh1t you not this car could be heard 3 miles away, there was always a cup of tea on my parents table ready and waiting when I went to visit them because they could hear it from so far away!!!

There are actually two cats in the system, one in the DP and one in the Centre.... to pass an MOT all he has to do is shove the original Centre section back in and bobs your father, brothers Dads, uncle!

All the best :D

the boost won't change as this is controlled by the ECU

Not true, the boost will increase a touch due to there being less restrictions in the exhaust system and as a result it becomes more free flowing.

There are actually two cats in the system, one in the DP and one in the Centre.

Not on a standard 96 WRX there isn't. The centre section just contains a resonater, although it is often confused for being a cat. However, as standard (non PPP) the UK classics, apart from the P1 and possibly the 22B Type UK, did get cat equipped centre sections.

The boost will not gain that much that it is actually noticable so no, there are no problems with overboost etc, but the turbo will spool alot quicker and you will notice that, and hear it

My 93WRX came with two Cats in it and had to put the centre section back in to Pass MOTS.... if it was just a Resonator it would never have passed the MOT.