The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What power from a NA/T

mark newman

Parm_93 has a 3.4 build on going but it seems to have been on hold for quite a while now. So not sure how far that's progressing. I also follow a few guys on social media in the States with 4 figure engines so there's a few about.

I'd like to do an extensive build one day. Grab a vvti NA out of a GS300 for a couple hundred bucks and forge it

Parm_93 has a 3.4 build on going but it seems to have been on hold for quite a while now. So not sure how far that's progressing. I also follow a few guys on social media in the States with 4 figure engines so there's a few about.

I'd like to do an extensive build one day. Grab a vvti NA out of a GS300 for a couple hundred bucks and forge it

:wave:

Engine has been taken apart again, and block is currently having some more work done in the US. Will be back on this very soon with an updated spec :thumbs:.

It will be well into 4 figures once it's on the road.

Loads of 400hp NAt knocking about.

That's the golden number. Or the glass ceiling.

Above that and you'll really need to consider your transmission and compression.

Put a T61 turbo on and you'll hit upto 420hp. Anything less and something isn't right.

500hp needs work. Compression is too high.

If you're auto you would stand a better chance to 500hp. Especially if you hybrid the box. Which is a combination of both NA and TT boxes.

The comparison for NAt is as old as supra itself. NA owners justifying the performance at lower cost while the more wealthy TT owners say without premium parts it's not reliable. They both have very good viewpoints.

If you own an NA. Aim for 400hp. You'll be safe. If you were thinking to sell and buy a TT it would be a hell lot easier. I sometimes wish I had.

I've lowered my compression with a TT head gasket. R154 gearbox. And a mass of other changes to hit 600hp. Half way through a paint job so will find out in July if all the supporting mods are working well together.

It's said. If you build an NA engine then you have the same expectations as a TT engine. But the difference in spacing on the ports on the head, mean the supporting modifications are different. Manifolds. Intakes. Cams (If you maintain a dizzy or dizzy sensor). Cam sensor location is different. They flow slightly different.

Some say the NA head flows better.

The transmissions are different of course. Manuals the most. So it's not really the engine that's the limitation. Change the compression and it's a huge list of more items you need to address.

From my experience going NAt 8 years ago. I would say the perfect combination for an NA auto is to buy a TT vvti head and single turbo setup. Best performance and less hassle on the head spacing, therefore supporting components will be cheaper and easier to source. Dependson on funds of course!

Loads of 400hp NAt knocking about.

That's the golden number. Or the glass ceiling.

Above that and you'll really need to consider your transmission and compression.

Put a T61 turbo on and you'll hit upto 420hp. Anything less and something isn't right.

500hp needs work. Compression is too high.

If you're auto you would stand a better chance to 500hp. Especially if you hybrid the box. Which is a combination of both NA and TT boxes.

The comparison for NAt is as old as supra itself. NA owners justifying the performance at lower cost while the more wealthy TT owners say without premium parts it's not reliable. They both have very good viewpoints.

If you own an NA. Aim for 400hp. You'll be safe. If you were thinking to sell and buy a TT it would be a hell lot easier. I sometimes wish I had.

I've lowered my compression with a TT head gasket. R154 gearbox. And a mass of other changes to hit 600hp. Half way through a paint job so will find out in July if all the supporting mods are working well together.

It's said. If you build an NA engine then you have the same expectations as a TT engine. But the difference in spacing on the ports on the head, mean the supporting modifications are different. Manifolds. Intakes. Cams (If you maintain a dizzy or dizzy sensor). Cam sensor location is different. They flow slightly different.

Some say the NA head flows better.

The transmissions are different of course. Manuals the most. So it's not really the engine that's the limitation. Change the compression and it's a huge list of more items you need to address.

From my experience going NAt 8 years ago. I would say the perfect combination for an NA auto is to buy a TT vvti head and single turbo setup. Best performance and less hassle on the head spacing, therefore supporting components will be cheaper and easier to source. Dependson on funds of course!

thanks

Hi guys is there anyone making good power from a N/A turbo Set up, GE engine .

on this Forum .

I am currently doing na-t build using GE block and GE head and have fully forged block and built head which is capable of 1800bhp.

It’s cost quite a bit and taken two years but have done 99% of it myself