The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How is this forum paid for?

Conrad

Is there some sort of membership to pay for this sites up keep? If so, how come you aren't restricted to a Newbie section like on Celica Club if you're not a member?

Also, who pays for the bandwidth and most importantly how much is the sites cost per annum? - if you don't mind me asking.

Anyone?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/announcement.php?f=2&announcementid=9

You just can't see the members only sections :)

Cheers mate, I've only got one more post left then!

Can any of the moderators let me know the cost of the up keep of the site and how much the use of images on the site increases this?

No probs if you don't want to disclose this, it's just I use another forum identical to this but you can't post images. The reason being that the amount of bandwidth being used up by pics seriously slows the site down and it would cost too much for the extra bandwidth.

I wouldn't mind but although it's free forum, it belongs to the biggest selling evening newspaper in the country! Cost really shouldn't be an issue!

You've got a few more posts yet, at 25 you are gently reminded to join, at 40 you are stopped from posting.

The cost would be irrelavant as one of the moderators here works for the company that hosts this site, so we get.... lets just say favourable rates, which are uncomparable to other hosts offering the same benefits.

I can help with the images question. We upgraded the forum approximately three months ago. In that time we have had 383,293 attachement downloads, with the average size 90.3 KB. That works out at roughly 11Gb bandwidth extra a month because of images.

For anyone interested I've attached the statistics we have on attachements in the database. (Which will be out of date as soon as I post this thead)

Statistics.PNG

When we upgraded (and moved hosts) I increased the allowable attachement limit to 500,000 bytes. I also added a few more allowable extensions, so we now allow bmp, doc, gif, jpe, jpeg, jpg, pdf, png, psd, swf, txt and zip.

Hopefully the use of 500k for an attachment wont be needed very often, and to be honest I think we should bin off bmps because they are so big and useless - but until the server starts to run out of space I'll leave it be.

Does that help reducing bandwith>?
Yes it does, but we really don't have a bandwidth issue so there's no need. I'd rather pictures were attached to threads as then people can see the thumbnails and chose to look at pictures rather than opening a thread that starts displaying full sized in-line pictures.