The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lsd

Fulcrum2000

the problem with that is a lot of supra are modified and even the vin could be wrong , the most fun way to find out would be do a burn out and see if both wheels spin, the boring way would be jack the rear up and spin one of the rear wheels and see if the other one turns in the same direction ( if spins in other direction its open diff ).

Are they actually an improvement particularly on a Supe by the way? I appreciate they'd improve cornering but would they improve grip on take off for a quarter etc? Some say (sounds like a stig intro) they actually slightly reduce take off speed

I think they improve grip out of corners rather than improve cornering as such (they can make cornering worse sometimes as the increase the likelihood of understeer). They improve lap times as you can get on the power earlier/harder, and good drivers can them balance the car on the throttle even steer it to a certain degree.

Up until 8-9/10ths you won't really notice it in an auto in the dry, but in low grip/high power/high lateral load conditions will be when an open diffs limitations come about.

Both my auto's (one stock one bpu) have open diffs, and I have a lsd in the garage but haven't fitted it to either yet, I really should fit it but none of the disadvantages below are bothering me enough right now!

Previous manuals had them and my old auto gz so have direct experience of all diff and transmission combinations.

Where the open diffs are noticeable in a bad way. T junctions, exiting sharp turns, too early on the throttle and the inside wheel spins up and you really lose 'drive/thrust' and one that wheel is lit up it takes a fair backing off to get back online so to speak. With a lsd when you reach that point the power is fed more to the outside wheel that has more grip and so drive is maintained and if you manage to overcome that tyres grip to then both wheels spin but only a very slight throttle adjustment or even no adjustment just a slight change of steering angle 'dab of oppo' is all that's required to stop it and keep the maximum drive.

Decent tyres will mean the wheel spin point is higher so you are less likely to notice the lack of a lsd. Poor tyres and wet conditions with a open diff and it will spin up on a drag / full throttle launch.

Open diffs can be safer for the inexperienced as the wheel with low grip spinning up means power is cut to the other too and so big tail drifts are less likely even if he drivers fails to lift a bit, also total panic lifts ie cutting all throttle won't usually cause any fish tailing as the car is generally never at a big slip angle. It's hard to do any serious drifting without a lsd.

So real world scenarios, wierd camber junctions and an enthusiatic get away, can give embarrassing wheel spin and not great acceleration.

Pulled over once in a pass point down a narrow uphill road, went to pull away and rear wheel in the mud just spun! Didn't get stuck but a lsd would have just driven out fine.

Harder to do a little roundabout drifty thing, but I am over 45 now so don't feel the need so much now.

Can't do a doughnut or 180 uturn thing but that's more being auto than having an open diff.

Pushing on and track work 100% get (need) one, it will make you a better driver as well in my opinion, as long as you go easy and build up gradually if coming from enthusiastically driving an open diff one.

I think they improve grip out of corners rather than improve cornering as such (they can make cornering worse sometimes as the increase the likelihood of understeer). They improve lap times as you can get on the power earlier/harder, and good drivers can them balance the car on the throttle even steer it to a certain degree.

Up until 8-9/10ths you won't really notice it in an auto in the dry, but in low grip/high power/high lateral load conditions will be when an open diffs limitations come about.

Both my auto's (one stock one bpu) have open diffs, and I have a lsd in the garage but haven't fitted it to either yet, I really should fit it but none of the disadvantages below are bothering me enough right now!

Previous manuals had them and my old auto gz so have direct experience of all diff and transmission combinations.

Where the open diffs are noticeable in a bad way. T junctions, exiting sharp turns, too early on the throttle and the inside wheel spins up and you really lose 'drive/thrust' and one that wheel is lit up it takes a fair backing off to get back online so to speak. With a lsd when you reach that point the power is fed more to the outside wheel that has more grip and so drive is maintained and if you manage to overcome that tyres grip to then both wheels spin but only a very slight throttle adjustment or even no adjustment just a slight change of steering angle 'dab of oppo' is all that's required to stop it and keep the maximum drive.

Decent tyres will mean the wheel spin point is higher so you are less likely to notice the lack of a lsd. Poor tyres and wet conditions with a open diff and it will spin up on a drag / full throttle launch.

Open diffs can be safer for the inexperienced as the wheel with low grip spinning up means power is cut to the other too and so big tail drifts are less likely even if he drivers fails to lift a bit, also total panic lifts ie cutting all throttle won't usually cause any fish tailing as the car is generally never at a big slip angle. It's hard to do any serious drifting without a lsd.

So real world scenarios, wierd camber junctions and an enthusiatic get away, can give embarrassing wheel spin and not great acceleration.

Pulled over once in a pass point down a narrow uphill road, went to pull away and rear wheel in the mud just spun! Didn't get stuck but a lsd would have just driven out fine.

Harder to do a little roundabout drifty thing, but I am over 45 now so don't feel the need so much now.

Can't do a doughnut or 180 uturn thing but that's more being auto than having an open diff.

Pushing on and track work 100% get (need) one, it will make you a better driver as well in my opinion, as long as you go easy and build up gradually if coming from enthusiastically driving an open diff one.

Great info thanks Scooter and also everyone else, so helpful. So I think moving forward as I've pushed it right to the edge of BPU I think its the best way forward for me to get one, so with that in mind, does anyone have one they want to sell and what price. I know you have one scooter are you interested in selling it, or Swampy, Keron etc? Has anyone ever had one fitted, what kind of price are they labour wise? I've had my whole engine rebuilt so it would seem a bit underkill maybe to not get an LSD. Truth is I thought I had one already and all TTs had one so now I do feel like it needs resolving.