The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which ecu

D1andonlyantman

Hi everyone. I'm just wondering which ecus people are running, and also who mapped it themselves? I'm getting the parts together to go single turbo. I've just bought some blitz 850cc side feed injectors, will order a walbro450, and am thinking about getting an EMU black ecu. I'll map it on the stock twins to get familiar with it, and then in a couple of months go single. The EMU black seems great for the money (£1100 ish with a 3port for full boost control and IAT to go SD), but im open to suggestions. Currently BPU TT6

Thanks

Have recently carried out a turbo conversion on my NA and used the EMU black - 1000cc injectors and a T67 precision turbo. Made a custom loom and mapped it myself. It is running well now at 0.8bar (clutch limited) after a few good weekends road mapping it. Have some experience working on maps for a Syvecs and although it is a great unit I much prefer the EMU software - it is incredibly user friendly.

My shortlist came to either a Link ECU or the EMU Black and decided on the latter mainly for the excellent price (got the ecu, terminated loom, a complete array of sensors, MAC solenoid etc for about the same as a link ECU on its own). I haven't played with Link software so am unable to say how they compare from a mapping perspective but I am very happy with my choice so far.

I think me and you are on the same page then mate. I mapped my evo ix on stock ecu, so have half an idea what I'm doing. The ECUmasters seems to have a really good interface and really good support. There's also a very active Facebook group for it if you didn't know. As I said, I think I'll get the whole kit for around £1100, so most other ecus are considerably more. I think this is the way to go then.

Yeah I have previously flicked through the facebook group but found it very hard to search through the posts to find what I was looking for.

Indeed, they have always responded quickly when I have asked questions. Bought everything through RRR engineering - who were excellent and would highly recommend. Also a significant plus for me was that with a relatively inexpensive CAN-bus to bluetooth adaptor and a free app (android only) my tablet acts as my gauges for the car. Displays everything connected to the ecu - even knock. Personally not a fan of having gauges littered all over the dash and the only other option was a toucan display (which was considerably more expensive) so it is a great compromise.

I bought all new sensors as the ecumaster has the calibration curves for bosch sensors in the sensor setup wizard. I didn't want to risk an old sensor failing or want to spend time trying to find the calibration curves for the stock sensors online/determining them through experimentation. If you plan to use the stock sensors and VSV's it might be a good idea to check compatibility etc. and see how hard it will be to implement with the EMU vs other brands. Also if you are using the stock loom you can get a plug and play adaptor made but that is more expense and requires having faith that they have wired it up correctly - which is why I made my own loom from scratch. The plug and play AEM and link ecu's may therefore be good options too.

Sorry, but which sensors are you referring to? Knock?

How complex was it to make your own loom? I'm no idiot but I'm no wiring expert either. I can't help but think going pnp is a good idea for me.

I'm running in TTC at the moment so VSV isn't an issue either unless I've got my wires crossed about it's purpose

The sensors I replaced and fitted were: CLT, oil temp x2, IAT, EGT, knock x2, oil pressure, fuel pressure and WBO. The sensors for the dash gauges are all stock.

It wasn't overly difficult, just time consuming working out where everything needed to be connected - mainly using the supra wiring manual and wilbo666. I made a spreadsheet with lists of all the plugs and pins then matched them all up. It helped having the engine out of the car as I could work out where I wanted everything to go. I am an electrical engineer so that helped but this was the first loom I have made and was not perfect. It was a difficult decision but knew that I would have to modify an existing loom anyway to add the sensors I wanted. The plug and play option is a good route unless you plan to add alot of additional sensors and are installing them in locations that differ from the stock layout. The decision was made a little easier for me as I used a GS300 engine so the loom wouldn't fit anyway and didn't want to take the car off the road whilst I made it.

Ah yes, you are probably right. Coming from an NA I don't know much about the control of the twin turbos - just remembered seeing alot of VSVs in the wiring manual for the GTE engine that you may need to control. I mainly mentioned them as I used all of the outputs on mine and, although I think you can buy an expansion unit, if you needed to control more valves the number of outputs available should be considered before making your final decision.

Ah ok. Well I don't think I'll be going as far as you did. I've already got an AEM wideband fitted although the EMU black has a controller anyway apparently. I do plan on fitting a dual oil temp and pressure gauge in one of my vent pods. Already got boost fitted. I will fit an IAT though as I plan on going SD. Judging from that you've said I think I'll pay the 150 ish and go pnp. That is included in the price I mentioned, so still quite cheap. With regards to knock sensors, how much of an ordeal was that to sort? I do hear that OEM knock sensors often don't work well with aftermarket ecus? If it's worth doing then I'll do it, but I work on my car out front of my box garage, so I'm not looking to make myself extra work.

Yeah it has a built in MAP sensor and WBO controller. It was pretty involved making my own loom so going the pnp route would definitely be simpler - I dread to think how many hours I spent on it in total.

I think you may have to use the bosch wideband knock sensors (as I did) but cant say for certain. I installed them in the stock locations with threaded posts which I bought through whifbitz - part number was either 90126-A0008 or 90126-08046. You will however need to run a shielded pair of wires to each of them - I think only a single shielded wire goes to the stock ones. It would probably be simple enough once the intake manifold is out of the way though.

Ok mate, this is sounding doable. I'm in no great rush to get it all up and running. I'll buy the ecu and sensors this month and then take my time getting it setup while I get the turbo etc sorted. As long as the info is out there im relatively good at figuring stuff out, but i may have the odd question or 2 if you didn't mind?