The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coil pack help

cainhead

Hello,

Had a problem with my car under full boost. Its seems to feel like a misfire and the description of article 2a in the below link gives a pretty accurate account of what im getting, especially as its on a single turbo as described in the link.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?35931-Misfire-under-boost-(plus-misfire-diagnosis)

So my question is, does anyone have a set of fully working coil packs that they wouldn't mind me borrowing for a quick test before I go out and spend a small fortune on new ones. Im in outter SW London and happy to travel or pay postage if anyone could help me out. I cant remember if it matters but its a UK spec.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by cainhead (see edit history)

As peter said

These are very common to go brittle

Change them regardless if you haven’t already

I changed these not too long ago. I checked these and they still go on and off without feeling like they are going to brake. The issue only started when the car had gone single.

First stop should be to grab a multi-meter and check the resistance of the six coils, first that there is a resistance and its pretty uniform across all coils. It's normally about 13k ohms from memory but that is failing as I age so do check that out. If you then spot you have a dud one then just replace that one with a new OEM fitment coil. I have a few of those in my Supra parts storage area so feel free to PM me if you need one.

take them out one by one by the 2 screws take the spark plug out of the car and then put the plug back in the coil start the car and put the coil on any bit of metal like the lifting eye and see how good your spark is then move the coil up the to the lifting eye and see if the spark is leaking , I had 18 coils and struggled to find 4 that worked with out leaking from the coil stem.

wear rubber gloves as when you hold one that's leaking you get a shock

Hello,

Had a problem with my car under full boost. Its seems to feel like a misfire and the description of article 2a in the below link gives a pretty accurate account of what im getting, especially as its on a single turbo as described in the link.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?35931-Misfire-under-boost-(plus-misfire-diagnosis)

So my question is, does anyone have a set of fully working coil packs that they wouldn't mind me borrowing for a quick test before I go out and spend a small fortune on new ones. Im in outter SW London and happy to travel or pay postage if anyone could help me out. I cant remember if it matters but its a UK spec.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Hi mate

I had the same thing, I changed the coil pack clips and still the same then changed the plugs to iridium still the same! The coils were the next thing to change out as they cost the most. Bought some oem coil packs and it sorted the misfire! Never pulled better in all my time I’ve had it 7 years. The misfire for mine was when at high boost around 5-6k revs and it sort of splutter like it was losing power but not like fuel cut! Did it some times then not at all in the end it was happing all the time. Coil must have completely broke down inside. Hope this helps, I’ll pm u details if u want. I have the old coils still but if I were you I’d get new. I’m all so a Uk spec

I'm also getting this problem, its had new clips and new iridium plugs and a set of whifbitz coil packs last year so I'm hoping it's not one of them gone! Not sure what else to check

Could the igniter pack cause problems like this?

/QUOTE]

That would of been my next thing to change out mate.