The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Never realised how fast this thing really is!

Getrag

You get used to the feeling of acceleration but the chunks of speed that these cars can put on is breath taking.

I joined a motorway tonight giving it some and decided to keep one eye on the speedo to see how fast it climbed, 100..120....130......140.......150, fook me! and it was still pulling like a train. Great beasts these! :D

They're certainly very quick once the speed get into triple digits, especially once you reach "BPU" level. Its so easy to reach silly speed of 140mph+, even just when a small gap opens up in front, theres so few cars around that have this sort of performance.

On a VERY long run (several miles) on a *cough* ‘private test track' I had mine well off the dial. Since then I had a Road angel fitting so think I might have hit around 170mph :eyebrows:

That said the distance and time it takes to get that last 10/15 mph is huge. I imagine it wouldn't be much of a problem for the big power cars though!

You're right about that getting used to it thing. I really find it very normal now so much so that when people get in it with me I am surprised when they give it all that gasping and clutching for the jesus handle thing and grabbing the sides of the seat with a sharp intake of breath when they can't reach it. Anyone would swear we were about to take off the way some people go on LOL.

I took my mum out in the Supra for the first time. When we got to an empty stretch of private road, I told her to hang on- she asked why. I floored it from 0-100 with automatic kickdown. Put it this way, she was in hysterics. She described the feeling afterwards as similar to a plane on take off- except you don't take off but keeping going faster and faster on the ground. I was pissing myself laughing

Mike

Wait 'till you drive a 500+bhp Supra! It still has enough grunt to push you back into the seat at 150! :eek: :D

Yep :D I can only say that the accelaration just doesn't let off. Mind you have you ever watched the fuel gauge travelling in the opposite direction whilt testing this? :(

Guest suprawannabe

Hi guys this is my first post on here as I have just sold my car and am seriously considering buying one of these motors as I have an MR2 suprcharger as my weekend car which I love and I also have a few motorbikes and have often taken them up to 170mph (on the track of course occifer (does your head really go all the way to the top of that helmet!)) and wondered if anyone who drives these cars quick has also ridden quick bikes and can the 2 be compared as the bike will glasdly pull to 150 with ease then it starts to take a bit more time to get to the 170 mark. Gotta say the supra has always been my ultimate car (unless I win the lottery I wont be getting a new Ferrari 430 in the near future!) so am now seriously considering a 6 speed TT as they look amazing and the power seems awsome in one. one other question what does BPU refer to ? I know the power of one of these awsome cars would never compare to my MR2 which even with NOS puts out 250BHP as the MR2 is a very small machine and never feels that safe above 100mph (on private roads that is) so I have decided I might as well try and find a supra now before the whole sprog thing happens so I can really enjoy a decent powerful and quick machine that can also be used as a daily driver. Any views much appreciated.

BPU = Basic Performance Upgrade and will see you to the high 300's (bhp).

Includes; intake, decat, exhaust, boost cut controler(BCC)/fuel cut defencer (FCD) and better plugs, fuel pump, boost guage to support it.

....and that costs about?

From what I've read since I got my car is that you'll only need a boost controller on a UK spec car, when you decat and put a decent exhaust on a J spec the boost will go up enough without any further help.

I wouldn't bother with an intake system, they'll sound nice but most suck in air from the warm engine bay unless you have a cold air intake. Most give bad filtration which isn't good, just keep the standard air box.

Approximate prices are

Decat £300

Exhaust £450

Fuel cut defender £80

Fuel pump £95

Plugs £11 - £65

Boost gauge £60 -£200