The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra 97 - 01 Twin Turbo: Coming to UK!

DShox

Hello there,

OK so the title is a little optimistic but just in case you weren't aware, the current ESVA rules require a Model Report to exist for the Japanese Supra Twin Turbo with model years 97 - 01 before a person can import one to the UK. Seen as the Report doesn't exist, people in the UK are denied the opportunity to drive the newer models as they are not allowed past the SVA testing stage (i.e. so you can't register the car, insure it, and then drive it away!).

Basically, nobody wants to take the risk of shelling out all the time and the thousands necessary to produce a Model Report, as there is no guarantee of success even having made the investment. That's where I come in...I'd like to know whether or not people would actually like to own the revised and newer forms of the twin turbo VVTi from 97 to 01 - if so, I'll carry on and finalise the testing plans and get the report produced (if the authorities let me that is!). ;)

Ta much,

D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, & Welcome,

Would be really interested in how you think it would pass the emissions !! People I know have tryed to produce a model report for the 1997 onwards twin turbo but the emissions are way way out. thats even with trying many tricks to bring the levels down. what test house will you be using ? If you are going to try and produce a report will you be creating it on a manual or auto ?

Also a 01 car would need a different report to the 1997-2000 as it would fall into a different european emissions requirement !! It would need to comply to euro 3 emissions??

Vanessa

Thanks for the heads up Vanessa - you clearly have more of an idea than I do! (generally I run head long into ventures with my eyes shut...you get the picture). I didn't realise the 01 had different rules but thinking about it, seen as the number of 2001 models produced worldwide were in double figures only (so I'm told), there probably won't be a whole lot out there that can be imported anyway.

The main focus will be on 97-00 Auto. To be honest, people with the cash to buy one of these cars will probably be focussing on grade 4s with low mods and refinement i.e. will not really value 6 gears for racing around and would prefer autos to give their arm a break (there's steering wheel tiptronic for a bit of fun anyway).

There are only two possible test centres recognised by vosa in the UK - Millbrook in Milton Keynes and MG Rover in Longbridge. I am working closely with all parties to get my Supra 98 Twin Turbo through that I unwittingly imported in November (refer to opening statement about 'running head long...'). It's gonna be a big risk and a very tiring job - it has already sapped up more time than I care to admit, but will keep pressing on to get a result!

Would like to hear your views - but i really have no choice but to proceed!

David

the number of 2001 models produced worldwide were in double figures only (so I'm told)
409 were made in 2001 and 337 in 2002.

Good luck with getting a report done though mate, it would be great to see some more late model TT Supras coming over, especially the six speed ones.

oh well so thats my idea of owning one in 3 years time down the drain then ?

but there is a uk website which has been advertising a gunmetal grey TT VVti for 16k for sometime now ? for the life of me i can't remember the name of it ?

that would be newera imports....

I test drove that car...wasnt impressed with the condition, but at the time was willing to pay good money for the car, the dealer noticed that I was keen and wouldnt budge on the price.....what did I do.

bought a BLACK ONE :D and never looked back since....

The main focus will be on 97-00 Auto. To be honest, people with the cash to buy one of these cars will probably be focussing on grade 4s with low mods and refinement i.e. will not really value 6 gears for racing around and would prefer autos to give their arm a break (there's steering wheel tiptronic for a bit of fun anyway).

You do know that Manual 6-sps are like rare as rocking horse S..t....it wouldnt make any sense to leave these out.

They are not hard to drive at all, I drive mine everyday in LONDON :p and :love: it to bits...

would never drive an AUTO :limp:

that would be newera imports....

I test drove that car...wasnt impressed with the condition, but at the time was willing to pay good money for the car, the dealer noticed that I was keen and wouldnt budge on the price.....what did I do.

bought a BLACK ONE :D and never looked back since....

ha ha thats the baby....condition in terms of what ?

Jake - thanks...where did the figures come from? - it's good news. I think there is some data conflicting out on the web...according to Toyota.com, Supras were discontinued in 1999 (so anything sporting a 2002 plate would have originally been built in 1999?)

I'll look into 6 speeds but might attempt to get some flex on the test results to allow em...god knows how but using my motto..."there's a solution for everything!". However, the 1996 6 speed (re-introduced in 97) was dropped due to ever tightening emissions standards - could be impossible to get through the lab!

409 were made in 2001 and 337 in 2002.

Good luck with getting a report done though mate, it would be great to see some more late model TT Supras coming over, especially the six speed ones.

Shyte.

I'm saving up and wanted to find a 2002 car.

They're on Autotrader.co.uk every now and then (there's one on there now).

I didn't realise they were so rare.

ha ha thats the baby....condition in terms of what ?

Car wasnt clean and tidy when i went to test drive....

Interior looked tired to me, specifically the dash and the gear gaitor and handbrake. recaro Seats were tired

Body condition was mint however, and car was mint otherwise however at the time I had driven 7 supras, this was my 8th one, and somehow the turbos didnt seem 100%....they didnt sound or pull as the NON-VVTI ones.... :looney:

Im no Sup expert btw.....these comments are my opinion...I dont regret walking away.

mods...feel free to remove this post if you feel that i am being too harsh.

Craig - yup, but as the lady said...even tighter emissions from 01 (might not be possible).

Vanessa - prolly try the full report - in for a pound in for a...

Right gotta go cook...went heavy on the wine last night and it's completely wrecked my appetite!

Jake - thanks...where did the figures come from? - it's good news. I think there is some data conflicting out on the web...according to Toyota.com, Supras were discontinued in 1999 (so anything sporting a 2002 plate would have originally been built in 1999?)

They must've made a shit load of Supras in '99 then! :p

That info came from http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm

So when you've finally got your model report produced...are you looking to hire it out at the usual rates like modelreport.co.uk ?

I'd be VERY interested in this. Especially a 6Sp one, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

Ta,

Pete