The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My 94 SZ 2JZGTE VVTI swap

Kearney

So I decided to start a thread up on my up coming build. I'll request a mod to move it when I get a bit more content into it:D

I bought the car back in 2009 and I was the first owner from japan. I had to get surgery on my ankle due to arthiritis and unfortunetly I wasn't able to drive a manual afterwards (or so the doctors told me!) so I sold the car to a friend. He used it for 2 odd years and left it sitting up for nearly 5 years afterwards. I eventually convinced him to sell it back to me (after discovering i didn't need to sell it in the first place!). My plan was to get it back to its former glory.

Here it is beside my R33 GTR.

20180712_113353.jpg

A bit of background on the car,

Basically the car is a 94 Manual SZ with 135k kms on it. I loved this car and I've been happy with the power (As it did a 14.53 second quarter mile in Suprapod) but I've always fancied a turbo setup or engine at some stage down the line. I eventually took the plunge after looking at all the different options and bought a 2JZGTE vvti that came out of an Aristo from JDM distro. My friend recently did a single turbo conversion on his RZ so he gave me some parts that I needed such as factory rear sump oil return etc.

I decided to go for the Aristo 2JZGTE as I would use the sump and other parts from my engine.

The engine isn't due until the engine of March, its currently on its way from japan. I decided to start buying some parts while I was waiting.

I took the wheels off, sanded them down and resprayed them. I also cleaned and painted all the brakes and fitted new pads. I bought a machine polisher and spent 2 days getting the paint back up. Happy with the results.

20180619_212043.jpg

20180701_214619.jpg

20180712_113307.jpg

Interior shot

20180628_105911.jpg

The current engine

20190206_170322.jpg

A photo of the engine due at the end of march, I've bought a first decat, new OEM GTE throttle cable, etcs-i delete and timing belt kit. I've also orderd the brake servo piping.

engine.jpg

I'm looking for a clutch kit too. At the moment I'll have to make do with the w58. I'm also looking for an intercooler (I have piping) and power steering resevior and brackets.

Edited by Kearney (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

So I taught I'd update this thread as I have the conversion completed.

Fitting the FMIC

^

I went for that particular size piping and intercooler so i could still fit my oem undertray and other plastics. I dont intend to ever go past 500bhp with this car.

New rubber arrived 235/40/18 front and 265/35/18 rear

Aristo ecu box so i have the oem ecu plugs and a place to mount the ecu. I opted to kerrp the ecu in the engine bay.

Began to strip the engine down and replace timing belt kit, water pump, breather pipes and other times. The crank pulley bolt involved a lot of effort to get off! Lol

New genuine water pump and seals

Competition stage 2 clutch kit

Engine prep

Whifbitz intake pipes fitted

Timing belt and waterpump fitted

The wiring lol. The bit everyone hates.

I had planned out in my head what way i wanted to do this before i started. Basically i cut the 2 main plugs from the supra fusebox and extended them to meet whatever wires in the aristo loom that required that type of power i.e. switched ignition, constant etc

The two plugs, orange and grey, are the dash plugs from the supra. I cut them off the 2jzge loom and extended them all to the aristo ecu box and they joined into whatever plug on the ecu was matching. These wires are for the clocks, fuel pump, brake light switch etc.

I spent a good bit of time properly heat shrink soldering them together and making sure i had no wires left over from the supra loom. The result was a plug and play loom that the car started first time with the first turn of the key.^

I also had to,

Buy a toyota oem temp sensor for the front top coolant elbow for the temp gauge in the dash,

Cut the oem 2jzge loom from the gearbox and wire in reverse lights and speed sensor to the clocks through the 2 dash plugs.

As its an auto ecu, leave it permenantly in "D" so it will run right.

Some photos of the wiring

Supra dash plugs, some wires are for automatic cars and cruise control so they will not be needed.

Supra fuse box plugs, these wires provide power to the car loom.

Finished loom

Neat joiners on them

And like i said, she started first time with no issues.

Rev counter modification. This allows the N/A clocks to display the correct rpm for the TT engine.

I had some issues with the engine getting very hot. I couldn't figure out what the issue was. I did a bit of research a discovered the N/A manual radiator is just not big enough to cool the TT engine. The N/A manual radiator is half the thickness of the OEM TT one.

I ordered a brand new Koyorad and it soon arrived. I fitted it and no more issues. The car runs like a dream now. Did a trackday in the car and the gauge didn't budge past half way.