The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Realistic Budget for a TT 6spd

Nathanj1142

Hi all,

I have a very basic question regarding the budget I should have for a genuine TT6. I’ve spoke to a few importers and they reckon I need about £30k budget for a fresh import, but I think it would be better if I found one already in the UK.

Now I do need to test drive one of these cars before anything, as I haven’t actually driven one and it would be a shame to drop such a large amount of money on something that I don’t get along with.

I would like a car that is mechanically sound, minimal rust, and little structural repair history. The bodywork isn’t an issue as i do want a car that I can work on.

I don’t want to use the car on a daily basis.

Am I being unrealistic if I think 16-18k will get me a supra with the above spec? Again It doesn’t need to be perfect just need a reliable runner with little mechanical maintainence required.

I’ve spotted the red TT6 on eBay from keron , but I’m not looking straight away just need to plan out what I can and can’t afford as I haven’t completely ruled out the idea of getting an na 5spd and putting a turbo on it.

UPDATE:

I’m currently waiting on an insurance claim to go through, had a bmw m235i but is going to be written off. Will be a few weeks I reckon before I can start properly looking

Cheers!

Edited by Nathanj1142
Update of backstory (see edit history)

you need 30k + for a half decent TT6. They are even getting as high as 35k right now

Please remember these are 25 year old cars and will have the odd issue. It's what you expect when you get into a car like this.

I thought 25k was alot of money for a Supra 18 Months ago and i waited. I wish i didn't as i just paid alot more than that for my one from Japan.

Damn! might have to settle for the auto, would be nice to have the TT6 as its appreciating quickly... interested how brexit will affect the price on imports

- - - Updated - - -

you need 30k + for a half decent TT6. They are even getting as high as 35k right now

Please remember these are 25 year old cars and will have the odd issue. It's what you expect when you get into a car like this.

I thought 25k was alot of money for a Supra 18 Months ago and i waited. I wish i didn't as i just paid alot more than that for my one from Japan.

Damn! might have to settle for the auto, would be nice to have the TT6 as its appreciating quickly... interested how brexit will affect the price on imports

Here is the thing, the Keron one was had cheap'ish, but, and this is not dissing Keron, he is on the ball with anything offered up cheaply and is in a position to sort the inevitable issues they may have and present a good solid car for resale.

I will reiterate I've no beef with this, but it proves there are still some long term owners about that don't need and won't ask the going rate but it's a needle in a haystack, that car would have been perfect and was in your budget.

I don't see it as impossible, but improbable.........

Auto route is fine and much better value for money, also perhaps look at a SZ-R facelift car fresh import (or at least find out the prices of them) as these have the 6 speed (strong) gearbox and you could turbo later (but research this a lot)

Here is the thing, the Keron one was had cheap'ish, but, and this is not dissing Keron, he is on the ball with anything offered up cheaply and is in a position to sort the inevitable issues they may have and present a good solid car for resale.

I will reiterate I've no beef with this, but it proves there are still some long term owners about that don't need and won't ask the going rate but it's a needle in a haystack, that car would have been perfect and was in your budget.

I don't see it as impossible, but improbable.........

Auto route is fine and much better value for money, also perhaps look at a SZ-R facelift car fresh import (or at least find out the prices of them) as these have the 6 speed (strong) gearbox and you could turbo later (but research this a lot)

Provided that car doesn’t sell quickly, which I’m almost certain it will, it will be perfect as you say - I’m just waiting for my insurance claim to go through so I can get some money but it’s going to be a couple weeks at best!

I would be happy with a sz-r, I didn’t realise they came with the 6spd. Would there be any altercations with the clutch? Or is sorta install it and get a map and you’re sound?

There a few up for sale that have been there a while, same with a few other cars i keep an eye on, bad time to sell what with the uncertainty of brexit imo.. however possibly good time to buy as the cars that have been up for some time may accept lower offers?

Provided that car doesn’t sell quickly, which I’m almost certain it will, it will be perfect as you say - I’m just waiting for my insurance claim to go through so I can get some money but it’s going to be a couple weeks at best!

I would be happy with a sz-r, I didn’t realise they came with the 6spd. Would there be any altercations with the clutch? Or is sorta install it and get a map and you’re sound?

/QUOTE]

The 6 speed SZ-R's are very rare and don't come up often. I reckon a mint facelift SZ-R would go for about 12-15k nowadays. I think I've maybe seen 1 or 2 tops listed on this forum in 8 years. It would need a clutch upgrade if you're wanting to turbo the car as well. Chris Wilson does a very nice uprated OEM Toyota one for a good price :)

The 6 speed SZ-R's are very rare and don't come up often. I reckon a mint facelift SZ-R would go for about 12-15k nowadays. I think I've maybe seen 1 or 2 tops listed on this forum in 8 years. It would need a clutch upgrade if you're wanting to turbo the car as well. Chris Wilson does a very nice uprated OEM Toyota one for a good price :)

Maybe not so promising then ;) .

I’m not set on the manual either, could settle for an auto just don’t want to be spending that sort of money on a car that I’m not 100% satisfied with.

I mean what’s the best way to actually drive one without wanting to buy one?

Edited by Nathanj1142 (see edit history)

I’ve had two Manual Turbos and two Auto Turbos over the years and both are epic cars.

For your budget I would be getting the best possible Auto TT I could find and then stashing some cash aside for a manual conversion at a later date if you feel there is a need to do so. You don’t have to go down the V160/V161 6 speed route, your could do a R154 or 350z Conversion although I am sure as tech progresses and new vehicles are released there will be other compatible manual/flappy paddle conversions in the future.

Quite a few SZR's in Japan still, on "goonet". It's an option given the easy time the gearbox will have had and the usual (normally) fresh import benefits of clean underside/rust free.

If you aren't set on a manual then your budget will get you a very good clean auto car.

These are the asking prices, not that many buyers about it seems, and not 100% surprised given the prices. Quite a lot of the same ones advertised from way before Christmas are still for sale. Brexit or prices reaching the level where only very die hard fans are entering into ownership.

Saying that yours is a very good example and if someone has seen average ones at high prices they may well pay top dollar for one like yours as repaint/refurbish costs aren't cheap!

I much prefer the auto its silky smooth and fast as heck at BPU, the manual is just too much effort and money for the slight difference you're going to feel. because of the 25 year old margin the 93s are hitting which frees up more export opportunities and the new model arriving I expect Supe prices to jump another 5k or so in the coming year. Most experts seem to be agreeing with this online too.

My auto cost me 8k 2 years ago and needed shedloads of work but now you're talking 16k if you're lucky so consider a cheap Supe that needs work is actually a better buy than one 7-8k more as long as the engine is sound. Mine wasnt :(

You're in Humberside, Im only in Lincoln with a 98 TT auto, happy to take you out if you come down one weekend.

Little ironic what Im going to say next as Im building a 6 speed car but, the manual box isn't the be all and end all of Supra ownership, there's many, many very happy auto men, and you'll see when if you come out in mine, how good the auto is, and how it suits the car perfectly

You're in Humberside, Im only in Lincoln with a 98 TT auto, happy to take you out if you come down one weekend.

Little ironic what Im going to say next as Im building a 6 speed car but, the manual box isn't the be all and end all of Supra ownership, there's many, many very happy auto men, and you'll see when if you come out in mine, how good the auto is, and how it suits the car perfectly

Sounds good I’ve got a mate that way [emoji106] pm me your number or something can get it sorted out

I’ve had pretty much every variation of the Supra, and I’m most happy behind the wheel of a TT6, that said I absolutely loved my 10years of BPU Auto ownership also.

One other thing I’ll say, I’ve never drove my manual and thought, yeah I’d quite like to install an Autobox, the same can’t be said when I had my Auto, as I’d always thought about converting to manual.

You might be best finding a NA, either Auto or Manual and converting to TT, probably the most cost effective option. Or as some have said try to locate a NA6.