The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Invisible reversing sensors

Noz

Thought of doing this myself some while ago. The Vag type sensors are the ones that seem the most flush for that application, though i think on the lines of the supra, it just doesnt look right. I ended up installing a rear view camera instead, much better IMO, can see exactly where you are going :)

So got an update on this, really looking forward to seeing them done.

I've purchased some R0394 Cobra sensors/kit. Flush fitting. My paint guy has them fitted to his Mini, look very OEM I never ever realised they were after market.

I'm going to actually smooth around them, skim over the whole area then sand back gently until the sensor pokes through. Meaning it will be a totally invisble setup.

Yes, if a sensor goes, I'll need to repaint the bumper. But a risk worth taking in my eyes. I don't want them to be visible. Also considering a flush fitting camera to slot between the lights, but maybe one for the future. Funds are being spent finishing the car for getting back on the road.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Cobra-R0394-4-Way-Car-Reversing-Parking-Sensor-Kit-Flush-Fit-Factory-LOOK-A0358/26002447908?iid=112878687316&chn=ps

Car goes into paint first week in March. Will upload some pics!

• 3 months later...

Further to update, the car did indeed NOT get fully paint in March. I've been focusing on correcting a mass of other much needed items before the paint job. Which has already begun.

I've fitted the sensors inside the bumper and smoothed over them. With a nice thick skim across each sensor, blocking it back until each sensor is working and then block is back some more ready for the thickness of paint. My painter has done this times before, when colour coding sensors. Just not smoothing around the edges, making them non-removable.

These will complement the reversing camera nicely.

I'll update fitting photos and final paint photos when I get them.