The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Silicone Wiper Blades

motley

Been looking for some new wiper blades and have come across some silicone wiper blades. I am curious as to whether anyone has tried them. They look quite interesting and are available in various colours.

So, Has anybody tried them? Are they any good? Or shall I be the first and report back? :rolleyes:

Not got a supra yet (its on the boat) but ive bought some piaa silicone wipers for my FTO and while not cheap (nearly £40 a pair) they are without question the best wiper blades ive ever had on any car.

No squeaks, they move faster accross the screen and i got mine in a nice carbon fibre look!

Ian K

I don't suppose you have some pictures of the carbon fibre blades. Those are the particular ones I am thinking of buying. They say that the blades don't need replacing for at least 5 years and provide a 5 yr guarantee.

Do they also provide a coating on the windscreen they wiper people say it helps to clear the vision by leaving a coating on the windscreen that makes the rain turn in to little bubbles.

The PIAA one ive got came with some screen wipes to clean the screen first, then you have to use the wipers when the screen is dry to leave a layer of silicone over the screen.

They work really well!

Sorry, i haven't got a pic but heres a shot of my car anyway :rolleyes:

http://www.laserlines.com/fto/front1.jpg

Sounds good to me. I shall order some I think.

The FTO looks nice I did look at them when I was shopping for a new car but at the time there were no really good examples they were all shite. That one looks good.

I hope you enjoy your new Supra when it lands. What have you got coming? ;)

I use the PIAA ones on my car to. They've lasted a while, not 5 years though. When new they're excellent, no need for wipers above 50mph as the rain just slides off. Now though, they don't seem to properly clear the screen, and the silicon has definitely warn off.

Enjoy your new baby when it arrives. The Supra is a great deal of fun to drive. I use mine as my everyday car and it just puts such a smile on my face even after 12 months. I usually only keep my cars about 12 months but I just can't see this one go. Send me some pictures of your TT when it arrives.

Good luck with selling the FTO if i come across anyone who is looking for one I will let you know.

PS. I have ordered the silicone wiper blades in Carbon Fibre. Thought I would give them ago.

Cheers.

Regarding the above post about the silicone "worn off".

Had mine on for nearly 2 years and they weren't as good as when new, after a good rub with a sponge, good as new.

The silicone cant wear off, the blade is silicone, if its warn off you'd have the metal bracket screaching across the screen!

The silicone cant wear off, the blade is silicone, if its warn off you'd have the metal bracket screaching across the screen!
Yeah maybe I should have worded that better. The effect of the wipers has definitely warn off. Just checked the receipt and I've had mine 2 years nearly, which means they done 45k maybe 50k miles worth of service. Looking at it like that I suppose they've not done bad after all.

yep, second the comment on the piaa lights, very good.

Got a set of PIAA Xtreme Force for my dipped bulbs (very close to a xenon look) very bright, easily 30% brighter than my standard bulbs although expensive (£80) but you get what you pay for!

Also got the PIAA white LED sidelights as the dipped beams made the sidelights look very yellow.