The mkiv Supra Owners Club

turbos dead. what to do???

afennell

This is great, the car is up 4 sale had a keen buyer and the turbos died.

Has anyone got a set of very good replacements or know of a good single turbo conversion that want require me to take a mortgage out?

Thanks all almost cried when i got the news.

This is great, the car is up 4 sale had a keen buyer and the turbos died.

Has anyone got a set of very good replacements or know of a good single turbo conversion that want require me to take a mortgage out?

Thanks all almost cried when i got the news.

Speak to the guys at Vortex about their budget single kit (see traders section), if you already have the supporting mods it may be your cheapest option. If you don't have supporting mods then your best bet would be to get a second hand set of turbos.

are you planninng on keeping now, or fixing and selling the car?

if keeping you may as well go single.

If planning on selling again replacing the turbo's will keep a bigger market of people to buy from you.

True but then again you may be able to ask more money for the car if it has a single on?? So you'd be able to recoup some of the money you spent on the fix.

True but then again you may be able to ask more money for the car if it has a single on?? So you'd be able to recoup some of the money you spent on the fix.

true as well :D

but at moment buyers in UK, seem to be on the edge of their buying prices already as prices have dropped enough for most to just be able to afford one, it will be the running that is interesting ;) so a single will probably push it out of reach of a good few peoples budget

Or sell it for less with "potential". I would imagine a board member would be interested in it with the idea to start from scratch in terms of the turbos.

I wonder what it'd be worth minus turbos and labour? Your original price of 11k minus 1.5k parts and labour - 9.5k?

I'd go for that option. My understanding is that fitting a single isn't just a case of bunging the thing on - there's all the mapping and stuff to do, and the fitting itself will take a while, so that's gonna delay your sale even longer.

Much bigger market if you sold it with the original TT setup.

I'd go for that option. My understanding is that fitting a single isn't just a case of bunging the thing on - there's all the mapping and stuff to do, and the fitting itself will take a while, so that's gonna delay your sale even longer.

Much bigger market if you sold it with the original TT setup.

If you already have the supporting mods fitted (IC, injectors, pump, fuel controller, etc.) then a single kit will be alot easier and quicker to fit, than to refit the stock sequential setup, as there are far less parts to fit. Yes you'd need to set up the fueling afterwards.

The £300 stock turbos sounds very good deal, if you just want to sell then I'd fit these.

if i went single i would keep the car.

The car was only running 1bar so shocked this has happened. Unfortunate the car has stock injectors and the only mods are exhaust, apexi boost controller and induction. I was hopping the budget kit would be okay with standard ic and injectors if i keep the boost down, I think i would kill myself if the car had over 400bhp. I’m not after very hi bhp, just sick of these turbos going.

When the car came into the country the turbos were dead, most of it was covered with Miguel at Newera but it still cost me a bit, only problem was he supplied 2nd hand turbos.

How much more money would a single cost compared to re-con the twins???

£1800 fora budget kit

£300 for replacement turbos

I don't think the labour charge for any garage will cost you £1500! I recommend a full oil and coolant change (makes the swap easier anyway if the engine is "dry"). But as with any major surgery things can go wrong...be aware additional costs may be incurred. trying to think if you'd have to replace gaskets...

Depends on the stage m8 - and also amount of work required on the old ones to be hybrided - but as a guide (ex Vat)

STAGE 1 - £1025.00

MD255 High flow 2470 KKK compressor wheel - CNC re-profiled compressor housing, left hand thread inconnel shaft & wheel, modified bearing housing, staggered gap/ total seal turbine end piston ring fitted, 360 degree ramped thrust bearing, Max recommended boost level 18-20 p.s.i.

STAGE 2 - £1095.00

MD234 CT20 retrofit turbocharger, High flow 55 Trim TB03 compressor wheel - CNC re-profiled compressor housing - 360 degree ramped thrust bearing, modified bearing housing, left hand thread inconnel shaft & wheel, staggered gap/ total seal turbine end piston ring fitted. Max recommended boost level 22-24 p.s.i. Please note: These units would need to be supplied by the customer to be modified and retrofitted to the engine.

STAGE 3 - £1195.00

MD315 High flow 60 Trim TB03 compressor wheel - CNC re-profiled compressor housing - 360 degree ramped thrust bearing, modified bearing housing, left hand thread inconnel shaft & wheel with 10 degree cutback, staggered gap/ total seal turbine end piston ring fitted. Max recommended boost level 26-28 p.s.i. Please note: These units would need to be supplied by the customer to be modified and retrofitted to the engine.

Car has always had regular oil changes, and I always let the car cool, warm up. These thinks happen. I take it those prices above are per turbo?

Will wait to see what the garage says. trd3000 turbos sound good at mo as im selling the car.

My car has always have very regular oil changes, turbos have done less than 37 K and they pull hard.

They have never gone above 1 bar which is what makes turbos start to go bad and shorten their life.

If you want them and the piping which you will need, I need a PM otherwise I will have to give them to the person I just got an email from.

Who has confirmed that he wanted them.

C.

Probable going single and keeping the car for a year or so. Am i correct in thinking the car will be worth the extra i pay for a single when i sell the car?

I ask because the cars been up 4 sale with little interest. the single turbo cars seem to move and so do the standard. The cars with a full kit and a few mods dont seem to be moving why is this?