The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jap spec tt6, modify or not

Redman

Hi all, I would really appreciate some advice. I have a tt6 in close to original condition. I’m struggling with the idea ifto modify it or not. By modify I mean go from twins to a to4z single turbo kit which I have access to. Do you think the added performance is worth it? And also what impact do you think it will have on the resale value should I decide to sell? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Unless its very low mileage with comprehensive history, I would go for it.

Leave it stock looking and keep all the bits you remove (stock turbos etc).

T04z is an older turbo, but if its an genuine hks kit in good condition, then it will be very good quality, and will remain very desirable.

Just make sure you use decent bits on the rest of the build, I would consider a Link G4 ECU as a minimum, ideally something like a Syvics or Motec.

If you are concerning yourself in any way with resale value then you probably shouldn't bother.

5 years ago singled TT6's were fetching two to three times what the stock cars were. Today they fetch the same with stock TT6s an easier sell so the direction of price travel is evident.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

I have recently purchases a TT6 and was having the same debate with myself. The stock car is pretty boring not going to lie so BPU upgrade is necessary to enjoy this car. Doing just the BPU upgrades wont affect the price of the car at all since it would be so easily to revert back to stock. I will be going the single turbo route later on in the year but trying to keep the internals stock at a safe reliable power. I definitely recommend you try the BPU upgrades first.

I have recently purchases a TT6 and was having the same debate with myself. The stock car is pretty boring not going to lie so BPU upgrade is necessary to enjoy this car. Doing just the BPU upgrades wont affect the price of the car at all since it would be so easily to revert back to stock. I will be going the single turbo route later on in the year but trying to keep the internals stock at a safe reliable power. I definitely recommend you try the BPU upgrades first.

Thank you to everyone who has replied so far. I really appreciate it. The recommendations to go bpu first makes perfect sense. I will speak to srd with a view tonhqving this done.i do intend on keeping the car for a very long time. It’s a beautiful example that I was fortunate enough to purchase from a forum member. If bpu is as far as I go with it, should I look to upgrade the Jap spec brakes or are they regarded as adequate for circa 400 bhp?

If bpu is as far as I go with it, should I look to upgrade the Jap spec brakes or are they regarded as adequate for circa 400 bhp?

I have run my car with its jspec brakes to 158mph on the gauge and never had any issues pulling up on the Autobahn when the Polish wagon doing 50mph pulls out in front. The big brakes = better stopping power is largely a myth. Big discs just dissipate heat faster than smaller discs so can withstand repeated use longer before fade sets in. Multi pot brakes tend to reduce the effort required in braking more than stopping you in a shorter distance. So, unless you are planning to go track racing then you would probably not notice any difference beyond pedal feel with big brakes over small brakes and not actually reduce the stopping distance in a emergency braking situation appreciably.

More effective braking, as in shorter stopping distance, is tied much more to your tyre and brake pad selection/quality/newness that it is to big brake or small brake.

Thank you to everyone who has replied so far. I really appreciate it. The recommendations to go bpu first makes perfect sense. I will speak to srd with a view tonhqving this done.i do intend on keeping the car for a very long time. It’s a beautiful example that I was fortunate enough to purchase from a forum member. If bpu is as far as I go with it, should I look to upgrade the Jap spec brakes or are they regarded as adequate for circa 400 bhp?

In your circumstances I would do it in stages personally, I would bpu it, with colder plugs, decats, fcd and restrictor ring and have it at a modest 1.1 bar level as this is a massive hike over stock. Then you could add on a boost controller if you like to tweak it up to nearer 1.3 bar. But the risk obviously goes up with the boost and with used turbo's thin on the ground and/or a lottery then a wrong move on the boost might see an enforced single conversion, not necessarily a bad thing but you may find 1.1 your own sweet spot re traction/power, it will certainly be a different car.

Re the brakes, in good working order they are ok, but need upgrade pads for sustained use, these can be expensive and so larger brakes are worth considering, it largely depends on your driving style and situation, pressing hard on fast winding A roads and you could get issues, dual carriageway blasting with the odd hard stop less so.

Considering you are in the UK , and in close proximity to SRD ; I suggest you try get access to a BPU car and a to4z car , go for a spin ; hell of alot cheaper than modding your car to figure out what you may like

As these cars a getting on , I would also assess the overall condition of the car, its core foundation , Suspension condition, top mounts , brake lines , general underneath condition , bearings , crank pulley age, oil pump , water pump, engine seals ...

I must be 10K in the hole to get the basic components refreshed, after suspenison refresh, suspension top mounts, underseal , boot lid required attention , new crank pulley, new oil pump, water pump, clutch, diff seal, rear main seal, brake caliper refresh, leaking oil pressure sensor, new radiator .... these are serviceable items , I would not nessicilarly wiat till something fails, mileage , age , in some instances visual inspection will dictate what needs replaced

I am only getting into a full engine refresh and single install this month , I easily have near 15K in parts sitting at home; if you do not have the basics in roadworthy condition , throwing more power at the car will only accelerate their shelf life and may even result in catastrophic failure

Going fast is not cheap , if you have to cut corners ; you need to re-asses your budget and hold off till you have a healthy budget

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

I'd sell the car and buy one modified personally, as stated the market for stock cars is red hot at the moment so to go for such big mods would limit the re-sale market some what.

But as always in these cases its your car, do what you see fit to it., but adding 10-12k of turbo kit and mods wont add 12k to the price

Edited by Swampy442 (see edit history)

I have recently purchases a TT6 and was having the same debate with myself. The stock car is pretty boring not going to lie so BPU upgrade is necessary to enjoy this car.

You see, I couldn't disagree more. My 98 TT auto is bone stock and plenty quick enough for the public roads, goes off the clock with ease, picks up speed plenty quick enough

I would consider going a little beyond basic BPU to be honest.

Install one of the ECUs I recommended earlier, as even at bpu, you will see enormous benefits. Much safer for the engine (fuelling, boost, spark all controlled and monitored, and oil pressure monitored), multiple performance maps, traction control etc. And if you decide to go single in the future, the groundwork is already there.

Also, you should make a little bit more power, but you will make the torque and power curves much better with a custom map than with 'signal fudging' the stock setup.

[